Comments: Anglicans meet the Pope

re +Rowan meeting benedict XVI - I was saddened as I watched the meeting on BBC News (and then rewound it and watched again through Sky+) - +Rowan seemed to be very pleased to be there with his presents and looked as if he was going to give the Pope a fraternal kiss - this was firmly kept away at arm's length.
I don't think the Pope thinks nearly as much about unity with Anglicans as he does with Eastern churches.
I hope we won't sacrifice our principles and how we perceive the Gospel to be to try to get unity with Rome, as we seem to be doing with some of the more conservative African (and other) churches.
We are big enough to go our own way if we believe that it is right.

Posted by Tony Bentley at Tuesday, 26 April 2005 at 8:24am BST

Principles? From Rowan Williams? He has displayed since his taking of the AofC post that his only principles are personal expediency and unity at all costs.

I have no time for him any more.

Posted by Merseymike at Tuesday, 26 April 2005 at 10:55am BST

"his only principles are personal expediency and unity at all costs."

Is that a Christlike comment to make? Very easy to judge when one does not have the conflicting pressures. And doesn't the Bible say something about judging others?

Posted by Ian-Waye at Wednesday, 27 April 2005 at 9:19am BST

Merseymike, your comment on the Archbishop seems rather unkind. I wouldn't like his job for a moment, and I wonder whether he too sometimes wishes he had not been appointed!

By the way, I looked at your blogspot. Both terms "liberal" and conservative" are, I suppose, relative to one's own position; I could be labeled liberal by some and conservative by others!

I say that because I was quite taken aback by the heading in your blogspot which reads: "Comments from conservative evangelical bigots not welcome. Piss off: you have quite enough of the web already..."

Whatever label one ecognises for oneself, such language does not strike me as something a Christian ought to be saying, surely!

Posted by Robert at Wednesday, 27 April 2005 at 9:51am BST

Interesting! I think there's a parallel between the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Pope.

When Rowan Williams was appointed, extreme theological conservatives (mostly on the evangelical side in England) seemed determined not to give the man a chance. Extreme theological liberals seem equally determined not to give a chance to Pope Benedict.

Posted by Alan Harrison at Wednesday, 27 April 2005 at 11:35am BST

Ian, if only the rest of the church had the decency to think about its actions in advance, asking itself exactly those questions, "is this Christlike? am I about to judge someone?"!

One of the notable benefits of asking these things is that the media would never latch onto a rightwing-versus-liberal separation, because people would have the decency not to judge others in public without applying Scriptural principles first.

Still, I suppose Merseymike is entitled to his view...

Posted by Tim at Thursday, 28 April 2005 at 5:42pm BST