Comments: Sentamu election confirmed

"Some of our disagreements are not Christian really … It seems to suggest that all the great evils of the world are being perpetrated by gay and lesbian people, which I cannot believe to be the case."

Very valid point ++ Sentamu. Yet, God has pronounced the same judgment for those who oppress the less privileged, the idolators, the thinkers of this age, 'the wandering stars', those who name the name of Christ but do not depart from iniquity. Surely Judgment will begin from the House of God, YOUR GRACE... TRUST IN GOD AND DO THE RIGHT!

Posted by Emeka at Thursday, 6 October 2005 at 4:50pm BST

"Is somebody saying a gay and lesbian can’t live in Christ?"

Is somebody saying they can - without repenting? Are you Dr Sentamu?

In an attempt to win friends, this is a delberate half truth.

Is somebody saying an adulterer can't live in Christ?
Is somebody saying a thief can't live in Christ?
Is somebody saying a sinner can't live in Christ?

In his language, as Dr Sentamu well knows, the answer is we can all only live in Christ if we repent!

Posted by Neil at Thursday, 6 October 2005 at 6:49pm BST

So, let's see. I am like those who

[qua Emeka] "oppress the less privileged, the idolators, the thinkers of this age, 'the wandering stars', those who name the name of Christ but do not depart from iniquity"

or are a

[qua Neil] "adulterer, thief"

. . . just because someone of the same sex makes my heart skip a beat (and I do not repent of that reality---rather, thank God for it! :-D).

This (the above comparisons) is nonsense.

It's *nowhere* in the Bible.

And ++John Sentamu seems to get it.

[Though we'll have a better view of this, if and when he extends some "English hospitality" to +Gene Robinson in '08!]

Posted by J. C. Fisher at Thursday, 6 October 2005 at 11:03pm BST

I think he is simply fed up with whether someone is gay and in a relationship or not being the definition of the validity of someone's Christianity!

Posted by Merseymike at Thursday, 6 October 2005 at 11:08pm BST

I must say that I have always been impressed by John Sentamu & what Bates quotes him as saying reinforces my opinion -- I believe he will be an outstanding Archbishop of York.

Posted by Prior Aelred at Friday, 7 October 2005 at 12:55am BST

"...John, never point a finger at anybody because when you do three other fingers are pointing back at you." ++John's Mother

Now we're talking...basic individual responsibility and TRUTH! No more hateful diversions/verbal junkets or abuse/smearing directed against LGBT Christians please.

Isn't it more honorable to keep ones eye on ones own character?

Simple? All I need is a clean/defogged two-way "reality check" mirror to look into with God looking back at me from the otherside.

Horray for ++York! Thank you for your clear, authentic and powerful NEW voice in our Church affairs!

Gracias, mil!

Posted by Leonardo Ricardo at Friday, 7 October 2005 at 5:47pm BST

Surely, Neil you are not saying that by simply BEING of homosexual orientation, one is as an adulterer, a thief, or a particular sinner beyond other sinners. Surely not.

Posted by IT at Friday, 7 October 2005 at 6:23pm BST

IT: I confess, according to Jesus' own definition, I am an adulterer. In fact I am actually by nature orientated towards adultery. We all are.

BUT, along with all my sins, I repent.
And I ask God to show me more and more of my sin, and to help me appreciate more and more how unworthy I am of forgiveness and what an amazing act of grace I have received in Christ.

The option that is just not open to me is to say I am an adulterer (you can substitute guilty of any sin) and I don't repent of it. I'm actually quite happy in it thank you God. And for me to claim to be 'in Christ'.

I suspect Dr Sentamu actually believes something similar (although I am happy to be corrected).

Posted by Neil at Friday, 7 October 2005 at 7:33pm BST

Only I don't consider that adultery and being a gay man or having a gay relationship have any connection.

Posted by Merseymike at Friday, 7 October 2005 at 11:01pm BST

You'd better ask him!

Posted by Göran Koch-Swahne at Saturday, 8 October 2005 at 5:03am BST

Göran Koch-Swahne: "You'd better ask him!"

Thanks but I believe in charitable presumption.
So go ahead if you'd like to and perhaps I'll be even more disappointed!

Posted by Neil at Saturday, 8 October 2005 at 4:03pm BST

Seems more like un-charitable presumption to me ;=)

Posted by Göran Koch-Swahne at Saturday, 8 October 2005 at 6:24pm BST

'Never point a finger'- +John's mum
'This (the above comparisons) is nonsense. - J.C.Fisher

Great!
Next on the line to be Bishops are the paedophiles and the kleptomaniacs. Like some atheist suggest, maybe we just abolish the words – sin, repentance, and salvation.

OR

If only we can remove 2 Tim. 2: 19 from the Bible. The problem is solved.

Should the problem be that of the expected life of those called to lead, all passages where Christ decried the religious hypocrites of His day must go.

Posted by Tunde at Monday, 10 October 2005 at 11:18am BST

Only that the pseudo-epigraphic alias 2 Tim 2:19 was the justification for the Inquisition...

Posted by Göran Koch-Swahne at Tuesday, 11 October 2005 at 8:46am BST