Comments: General Synod Questions

Some rather pointed questions this time. I particularly like this one: "In the light of the House of Bishops’ Pastoral Statement on the Civil Partnership Act, and in view of the fact that many parishioners will want to be reassured that their minister, if in a Civil Partnership, is not engaged in an active same-sex union, has the House considered how a bishop might best relay to those parishioners the reassurance he has obtained?

Discuss!

Posted by Dave at Wednesday, 9 November 2005 at 9:52pm GMT

Some rather banal questions too:

Q29 'In full expectation of England’s participation in the World Cup final (Sunday 9 July at 7.00pm), what steps will the Clerk to the Synod be taking to negotiate with York University authorities adequate viewing facilities for General Synod members?'

This is the first time I've seen Synod Questions. Have they always been so negative and petty and mean-spirited?

Posted by Augustus Meriwether at Thursday, 10 November 2005 at 9:37am GMT

Dave - there are 54 questions on a vast range of subjects. Is this the *only* question that interests you in the Church of England today?

Posted by badman at Thursday, 10 November 2005 at 10:22am GMT

re Dave's comment - why should parishioners need any further assurance about their ministers standing, theological or otherwise than the fact s/he holds the bishops licence. No further "tests" have been imposed to my knowledge.

Posted by Perry Butler at Thursday, 10 November 2005 at 11:44am GMT

Augustus - surely that question is meant as a joke??!

Perry - parishioners may feel the need for further assurance because most bishops recently have shown precious little courage or ability to investigate and evaluate ministers' standings. Presumably when they become credible once more such a need will disappear.

Posted by Sean Doherty at Thursday, 10 November 2005 at 2:20pm GMT

They may feel the need, Sean, but I will be suprised if the reply isn't given along these lines as it has been in the past. Further "tests" might prove very complicated.

Posted by perry butler at Thursday, 10 November 2005 at 4:26pm GMT

I was wondering what the Bishop then would do if a parishioner subsequently reported being aware of a Civily Partnered priest having done something sexual... like kissing on the lips? It's a bit like an continuous version of the moment in the marriage ceremony when the priest askes anyone present who knows a reason why these persons may not lawfully marry, to declare it! ...:

The Bishop: "I am required to ask anyone present who becomes aware of any sexual interaction between this priest and their Civil Partner, to declare it to me."

Three kisses and you're out ?!

Posted by Dave at Thursday, 10 November 2005 at 8:40pm GMT

Actually, Dave. I think you are wrong.

All the churches I know who have gay priests are very much aware of it, and its not a problem to them.

Posted by Merseymike at Thursday, 10 November 2005 at 9:03pm GMT

"I was wondering what the Bishop then would do if a parishioner subsequently reported being aware of a Civily Partnered priest having done something sexual... like kissing on the lips? . . . Three kisses and you're out ?!"

Dave, surely *this post* is meant as a joke??!

Posted by J. C. Fisher at Friday, 11 November 2005 at 5:59am GMT

Dear JCF, I fear that the whole HoB Pastoral Statement on CPs will turn out to be a joke in practice.... All sides will be made to look ridiculous.

Posted by Dave at Friday, 11 November 2005 at 6:32pm GMT

Frankly, I think every member of the clergy who is same-sex attracted, whether or not in a relationship (with or without genital privileges) should simply resign. Then watch what happens. How do you replace somewhere between a fifth and a quarter of your workers?

Posted by Rodney at Sunday, 13 November 2005 at 4:00am GMT

Rodney, I guess that I have to ignore your total lack of understanding of the almost 2000 year old tradition of the celibacy, but can you give me the sources for your "grand" numbers?

Posted by Peter at Sunday, 13 November 2005 at 9:19pm GMT

Maybe Rodney is thinking of Southwark diocese, which I understand has a rather higher proportion of homosexual clergy than most. If so I think that the folk at The Co-Mission Initiative currently have a few trained folk in the area who might be willing to help out ;=)

Posted by Dave at Wednesday, 16 November 2005 at 12:07am GMT