Comments: Affirming Catholicism publishes CP booklet

I thought the Dean of St Albans gave Christopher Herbert assurances he wasn't going to use his position to promote the cause of same-sex unions?

My mistake obviously.

Posted by Peter O at Friday, 27 January 2006 at 5:33pm GMT

Why shouldn't he? Or are only views you approve of permissible?

Posted by Merseymike at Friday, 27 January 2006 at 5:42pm GMT

How do you see this as Dr John "using his position"?

Or are you suggesting that he said he would be silenced if he became Dean of St Albans? I would be very surprised if that was ever suggested.

Posted by badman at Friday, 27 January 2006 at 7:46pm GMT

No - I'm not saying he can't have his say. I think everybody should have their say. I just thought that he said he wouldn't be making public statements on the issue, that's all.

I could be wrong.

Posted by Peter O at Friday, 27 January 2006 at 8:10pm GMT

Given that he had written a book on the issue, it's hardly likely. I think he argues his case very cogently.

Posted by Merseymike at Friday, 27 January 2006 at 10:38pm GMT

Freedom of speech, anyone?

Nigeria has got a solution to this.

Posted by Göran Koch-Swahne at Saturday, 28 January 2006 at 8:47am GMT

So has Sweden - but you'd better be ready for a long, expensive fight in the courts:

Posted by Peter Bergman at Sunday, 29 January 2006 at 7:38pm GMT

Peter Bergman wrote: "So has Sweden"

Correction: the European Convention on Human Rights does.

The Swedish law, killed by the Highest Court in November, came into being due to the signing of the Treaty of Maastricht in 1993. So it was deferred for 10 years... So the outcome in the Highest Court was no surprise ;=)

The Highest Court first declared that the poor pastor indeed had broken the Swedish law, and proceeded by claiming that the European Court at Strassbourg (improbably) would set the fellow free on appeal, having protected the human rights of persecuted Greek pentecostals and Kurds from their respective governments...

A British sex manual for schools of the 1970ies was also mentioned - a differrent legislation alltogether ;=)

Not very likely. And a legal scandal at that... but I still wonder at the continuing misrepresentation of all this.

So we're defending AkinTunde Popoola now, are we ;=)

Posted by Göran Koch-Swahne at Monday, 30 January 2006 at 9:07am GMT