Comments: articles of interest

Good grief! I found myself agreeing almost exactly with what ++Rowan was saying in large parts of his talk. For instance:

"In what sense is this an exclusive claim? In one way, it can be nothing except exclusive. There is no Christian identity that does not begin from this place. Try to reconstruct the ‘identity’ from principles, ideals or whatever, and you end up with something that is very different from the scriptural account of being ‘in Christ’." ...... "Yet in another sense exclusivism is impossible here, certainly the exclusivism of a system of ideas and conclusions that someone claims to be final and absolute. The place of Jesus is open to all who want to see what Christians see and to become what Christians are becoming."

".... the Christian does not see what can be seen from other perspectives. He or she would be foolish to say that nothing can be seen or that every other perspective distorts everything so badly that there can be no real truth told" ...... "What I want to say about those other views is not that they are in error but that they leave out what matters most in human struggle; yet I know that this will never be obvious to those others, and we can only come together, we can only introduce others into our perspective, in the light of the kind of shared labour and shared hope that brings into central focus what I believe to be most significant for humanity. And meanwhile that sharing will also tell me that there may be things – perhaps of less ultimate importance, yet enormously significant – that my perspective has not taught me to see or to value."

AND

"The question of Christian identity in a world of plural perspectives and convictions cannot be answered in clich├ęs about the tolerant co-existence of different opinions. It is rather that the nature of our conviction as Christians puts us irrevocably in a certain place, which is both promising and deeply risky, the place where we are called to show utter commitment to the God who is revealed in Jesus and to all those to whom his invitation is addressed."

A Closet Evangelical ?! Reminds me a bit of the comments by the Queen, which shocked some people, at the opening of the November synod, when she said that Christianity was good news for everyone...

Posted by Dave at Saturday, 18 February 2006 at 9:46pm GMT

"I found myself agreeing almost exactly with what ++Rowan was saying in large parts of his talk"

Me, too. Rowan sounds "evangelical", alright --- precisely in the sense that a progressive Anglican should: bringing *GOOD* news! :-D

Posted by J. C. Fisher at Sunday, 19 February 2006 at 6:25am GMT

Dave,

I think your comments say more about you than they do about ++Rowan.

Ever since he was named as the next ABC, there has been a heavy anti-Rowan campaign from conservative evangelicals, mainly based on a caracature of what he is supposed to believe rather than on the actual realities.

I suspect that if you were to take the time to read his sermons and lectures, you would actually find a lot more to agree with. Believe it or not, we are actually on the same side and what unites us is far FAR greater than what divides. Contrary to the pronouncements of some con-evos, ++Rowan is NOT the anti-Christ.

Posted by David Chillman at Sunday, 19 February 2006 at 2:47pm GMT

Dear JCF It's nice to be able to agree on something !

Posted by Dave at Monday, 20 February 2006 at 7:19am GMT

Actually, I thought the passages above sounded a little reminiscent of Benedict XVI, especially with regards to sloppy "postmodern" thinking. So perhaps he's actually a closet (or not-so-closet Anglo) Catholic. Haven't yet gotten to read the whole transcript yet, though.

Posted by Robert L at Monday, 20 February 2006 at 3:45pm GMT

Dear Robert, Postmodern is the way most European intellectual discourse is expressed at the moment (it's supposed to be much more advanced than pre-modern, superstitious discourse based on belief in absolutes and revealed truths). My surprise was that ++Rowan acknowledged revelation and absolutes ("for us" at least)!

Posted by Dave at Tuesday, 21 February 2006 at 7:22pm GMT