Comments: Sentamu on Guantanamo Bay

Once again John Ebor continues to impress (although I would have thought 1984 more apt than Animal Farm, but that's just me). I do hope that people around the world understand that not all Americans support the policies of the Bush adminstration (to put it mildly).

Posted by Prior Aelred at Friday, 24 February 2006 at 12:15am GMT

"The main building block of a democratic society is that everyone is equal before the law, is innocent until proved otherwise and has the right to legal representation."

When will Archbishop of York John Sentamu speak out against Nigeria's new laws criminalizing homosexuality, laws which criminalize even advocating for gay rights? More to the point: When will he - or anyone - speak against the Anglican Church in Nigeria's open support for these laws?

These fellows certainly are busybodies on everything but the things that concern them - or the things that are too difficult to deal with and which require courage.

Posted by bls at Friday, 24 February 2006 at 12:52am GMT

Archbishop John Sentamu is making a valid point. The George W Bush Administration's failure to listen to the world community with regard to the U.S. violations of international law at Guantanamo is a disgrace. George W and Dick Cheney ought to be held accountable by an international court of justice.

Posted by John Henry at Friday, 24 February 2006 at 8:10am GMT

bls --
I concede your point -- it would be good for Sentamu to speak out against the Anglican Church in Nigeria's support of anti-gay legislation -- or Akinola's firey rhetoric encouraging the riots that have led to the deaths of hundreds of Muslims.

But he was right on this one.

Posted by Prior Aelred at Friday, 24 February 2006 at 1:13pm GMT

Yes, I agree with him, Prior Aelred, and have said so many times. I just copied the post word-for-word from the previous one on Rowan WIlliams; it was easy enough to do.

Posted by bls at Friday, 24 February 2006 at 3:08pm GMT

I agreed with ++ John's criticism of Guantanamo. We need more prophetic voices raise against such blatant injustice. I hope many will, as I have done, send a personal note of support to the Archbishop. I am sure it helps him to know that he is not a lone voice on this and other issues.

Posted by Peter Lear at Sunday, 26 February 2006 at 5:52pm GMT

Does anyone know where to find the whole text of the two speeches?

Are they letters or speeches?

Thanks in advance.

SS replies: they were press statements: these are the full texts.

Posted by symbulos at Thursday, 6 April 2006 at 10:53am BST