Comments: California episcopal election

Believe me, I pity anyone who gets the religion beat for the USA - the range of religious expression, polity, issues, and everything else from architecture to zoos, humane treatment of animals in, in just the Christian churches - is huge.

But I hope someone will gently enlighten the AP writer about the relationship of TEC to the Anglican Communion. We are much older than it is. And I see that Fr. Zahl is at his most conciliatory.

Posted by Cynthia at Thursday, 4 May 2006 at 9:31pm BST

"The Rev. Paul Zahl, dean of the conservative Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry in Ambridge, Pa., likened the election of a gay bishop in California to 'a terrorist bomb, which is timed to destroy a peace process.'"

Is there a peace process going on? Did I miss something? :-/

Posted by Uriel at Friday, 5 May 2006 at 1:13am BST

While the Diocese of California gets all the hullabaloo (Los Angeles Times "Church Braces for Possible Election of Gay Bishop"??? Just lie back, and think of the Empire! *LOL*), could y'all also spare a thought/prayer for my home diocese, in *Northern California*? (Cathedral in Sacramento: they're having their episcopal election the same day---but because it's just 3 middle-aged straight white guys running, *zero* attention!)

God bless the Episcopal Church. :-D

Posted by J. C. Fisher at Friday, 5 May 2006 at 3:03am BST

Fairly fundamental premise: God is Love.

So I just keep asking myself on a daily basis, "Where can Love be found in this mess?" and "What voice represents Love?" and "Where is Love being denied?" and "What voice speaks against Love?"

Posted by john-Julian at Friday, 5 May 2006 at 5:57am BST

Some of the rest of us are asking what is in accordance with Love in this case. Is it loving to ignore one's brother's sin, or to scandalize brothers and sisters elsewhere in the world? On the other hand, is it loving to place burdens upon a person without inquiring with them as to whether God has given them the burden and the grace to bear that burden?

To some extent I think this is the conundrum the Anglican Communion is struggling to resolve.

Jon

Posted by Jon at Friday, 5 May 2006 at 9:54am BST

At least one on-line betting site - Paddy Power - has posted odds and is taking bets on the Diocese of California election. It identifies which are the gay candidates.

Sorry, Northern California, all you get is our prayers! [And those you have - we are just beginning the process of choosing a co-adjutor here in Diiocese of Virginia, and would appreciate yours, too.]

Posted by Cynthia at Friday, 5 May 2006 at 3:12pm BST

It seems the critical fault line is whether you believe homosexuality itself is a grave sin. If you don't, then the question becomes whether a homesexual must be celibate to be a bishop (or a priest?) as in almost all of the US two men or two women cannot marry. My own thought is that I'd rather have a homosexual who is in a long-term monogamous relationship as a priest or bishop than a heterosexual person who has difficulties with being in one. (I guess that gives away that my answer to my question is "No.")

Posted by Paul at Friday, 5 May 2006 at 3:24pm BST

The betting odds can be found from here:

Posted by Simon Sarmiento at Friday, 5 May 2006 at 4:20pm BST

Prayers for California, for Northern California, and for Tennessee, which goes into a third weekend of electing tomorrow.

Tennessee takes to so long because election requires a 2/3 majority, and not a simple majority, in both orders on the same ballot to elect. I used to be in that diocese, and think there's a good point to that: the person elected has support from, or at least acceptance from, a super majority of the leadership. However, it can make for long elections.

Tennessee is also an interesting counterpoint to California. Tennessee's current bishop has been a strong supporter of AAC and ACN. In a different way this election is also affected by the current differences in the church; and could perhaps be affected by the consent process if (hypothetically; I do not know of any such statment) a newly-elected bishop were to speak of taking the diocese out of the Episcopal Church.

Posted by Marshall Scott at Friday, 5 May 2006 at 7:03pm BST

I believe Eastern Michigan is also electing tomorrow.

Posted by Breen Mullins at Friday, 5 May 2006 at 9:29pm BST

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well. Things are happening as they are for a reason, and maybe someday we'll know what that reason was. Or not.

Prayers for all who will elect new Bishops today, and prayers for all who won't. Let's get on with our charge of making Jesus Christ known in the world. (And yes, that includes to gay people.)

Posted by bls at Saturday, 6 May 2006 at 1:37pm BST