Comments: opinion columns

This is all too sad. I've just handed in my resignation to my minister after today's sermon on John 15 started on the theme of branches dying when they are cut off.

I had hoped with the 2007 Synod there might be a chance for a more diverse and tolerant culture to develop within Sydney Anglicans, but based on the recent events I think the alternatives will either be suppressed or leave. What will remain will be a "pure" diocese untainted by a feelings of guilt that the leadership has embraced a Roman principle of an elite with citizen rights and all else to suffer as not worthies.

Thus hope for avoiding events such as the Sydney riots, systemised persecution and ethnic tensions will need to come from an alternative leadership that has a greater faith in God’s magnanimous love and an ability to work towards an integrated vision that does not rely on denying citizenship rights, either within its own community or within the broader community.

My decision to resign is probably not a surprise to most parties, but the inevitable consequence of choosing to love both thy neighbours and thy enemies. I can no longer bear to continue to have my name associated with a diocese that not only can not love either its neighbours or its enemies but actively colludes with parties to deny others basic dignity such as access to medicine, food, water, citizen rights: which would lead to an uproar if such limitations were applied to themselves.

In God I trust and have full faith that with this door closing, He will open a door to a more hospitable and nurturing religious community than can be found under the current Sydney Anglican leadership.

Posted by Cheryl Clough at Sunday, 2 July 2006 at 2:33am BST

Cheryl - I feel for you. Did the preacher get into verses 11-17? If you'd been anywhere else in Australia you would have got the healing of the daughter of Jairus today (even if the deacon at the mass I attended left out the more spectacular healing that happened on the way to Jairus' house). In a sense it was one of those quirks of the lectionary that it gave (most of us) that passage today, given the last couple of weeks - "Your faith has made you whole".

Posted by k1eranc at Sunday, 2 July 2006 at 10:38am BST

Shaunaka (Rishi Das) is a UK leader of ISKCON, the Hare Krishna movement. AFAIK, the Oxford Centre for Hindu Studies was set up with ISKCON money. Shaunaka sometimes in print describes himself as a practising Hindu priest, without mentioning that it's Hare Krishnaism. Not sure why he's not open about it, because it deeply affects his perspective on Hinduism and it would be useful to the reader to know.

Posted by Shaphan at Sunday, 2 July 2006 at 11:03am BST

Cheryl, I am very sorry to hear about your troubles. I know very little about the Sydney crew, but what I have read leads me to wonder precisely what is Anglican about Jensen and his establishment. They seem much more like the fundamentalist Presbyterians that we have here in the states. Is that a fair judgment, or am I missing something?

Posted by New Here at Sunday, 2 July 2006 at 8:59pm BST

But Hare Krishna is part of the Hindu spectrum, isn't it? The Hindus in the UK who use their headquarters certainly seem to think so!

Posted by Merseymike at Sunday, 2 July 2006 at 10:51pm BST

Cheryl-
What does the denial of access to medicine and food refer to?

Posted by Christopher Shell at Thursday, 6 July 2006 at 2:52pm BST