Comments: International Role?

While the article seemed to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek,nominating former ABC George Carey to this position actually makes a lot of sense. I'll second the motion.

Posted by Terry at Monday, 5 March 2007 at 8:14pm GMT

That is brilliant.

I can't image anyone more likely to misunderstand Americans, progressive or conservative, than Lord Carey.

Posted by Dennis at Monday, 5 March 2007 at 9:09pm GMT

Don't you mean 'people'?

I liked the bit about intellectual capacity. Has anyone actually read Carey's PhD?

Posted by Merseymike at Tuesday, 6 March 2007 at 12:01am GMT

Instant Puritan "puree de Papa" perfect a "starter" and so easy to ingest if one has a passion for overcooked tasteless flakiness...and, for heaven sake, don't "leave it out" too long or it'll turn sour on ya and make us all sick like it did before!

Posted by Leonardo Ricardo at Tuesday, 6 March 2007 at 2:50am GMT

I should point out a great analysis of all that has happened recently in the church by the Admiral of Morality, Leaving the Light On.

I thought that this was very well written and certainly worth reading. It certainly expresses the opinion held by many American Episcopalians that I know. And since it isn't my blog I'm promoting I have no qualms about sending people over to read it! So, go read.

Posted by Dennis at Tuesday, 6 March 2007 at 4:13am GMT

++Carey would be good.
+ Nazir Ali would be good too!

But it has to be ++Akinola, does it not?

Posted by NP at Tuesday, 6 March 2007 at 8:29am GMT

Hold the presses! If you're looking to know where the American Episcopalians are going, read the link that Dennis posted. That felt so good to read. It's time to get on without anymore of this entanglement with the Anglicans.

Posted by Curtis at Tuesday, 6 March 2007 at 8:43am GMT

I think that Michael Scott-Joynt would be an excellent choice for Primatial Vicar.

Not only will he quickly alienate even the most hopelessly fundamentalist among the so-called "orthodox," he will also destroy that last little bit of respect for the Church of England that still exists in the U.S.

Does anyone know how to submit nominations?

Posted by JPM at Tuesday, 6 March 2007 at 2:39pm GMT

Thanks Dennis. A really good read. What a mensch !

Ihope more will read the sanity and goodness on Admiral of Morality. And clear analysis.

Posted by Laurence Roberts at Tuesday, 6 March 2007 at 6:00pm GMT

I'm putting my [hypothetical] money on Eames rather than Carey.

Posted by Dave at Tuesday, 6 March 2007 at 7:24pm GMT

"But it has to be ++Akinola, does it not?"

LOL! There's no way it is going to be Akinola.

Remember how the PV gets appointed. The bishops participating pick one who then has to get KJS's approval. I believe the PV has to be a bishop in good standing in TEC. I think Duncan is the obvious choice of the bishops likely to participate in the scheme.

Posted by ruidh at Wednesday, 7 March 2007 at 2:37pm GMT

you're right, ruidh - that was a joke!

Posted by NP at Monday, 12 March 2007 at 11:37am GMT