Comments: New Orleans: Thursday evening reports

Brilliant. ++KJS hands out taller pointy hats to the secessionists and that is good enough to save TEC. Every person has his or her price I guess but who knew one could solve so much with just a trade for a bigger stick.

Bishop Kathryn has discovered how cheap the power mongers are. What's next, bigger rings and extra incense in exchange for same-sex blessings? We should have done this ages ago. What the heck! Papal tiaras all 'round!

Posted by Tommy at Friday, 21 September 2007 at 1:23am BST

Poor Ruth Gledhill. I don't know what she does wrong that her paper won't send her over here to see what the USA and TEC are like in person. One would think she would like the occasional junket, and it might improve her reporting.

Posted by andrewdb at Friday, 21 September 2007 at 3:23am BST

Chicago Tribune link requires 'subscription.'

Posted by Cynthia at Friday, 21 September 2007 at 3:58am BST

Ah, dear Ruth! {snark/OFF}

I believe the headline she SHOULD have written, is "Archbishop Akinola pushes Church closer to schism" [Subheader: "Reacts hysterically to claimed 'pro-gay agenda'"]

Posted by JCF at Friday, 21 September 2007 at 5:19am BST

JCF/andrewb - yes, Ruth does not seem to realise that the problem is not TEC(USA) forcing VGR on the church - leading to Dromantine, TWR and Tanzanie........... no the problem is those who object (it cannot be the tiny minority forcing their agenda without much concern for the Communion?)

Maybe Ruth Gledhill is more sensitive to facts and chronology than you??
Maybe she is trying to be objective??

Posted by NP at Friday, 21 September 2007 at 8:32am BST

Hi, thanks for linking to my piece Simon. I'm going to put the full interview up on my blog shortly. I would love to do more travelling to record the unravelling of the Anglican Communion. Two facts prevent me, neither of them linked to any policy at the paper. The first is my son is still too young for me to leave, especially over weekends. I am sensitive about this because I work full-time so he sees little enough of me as it is. The second is that with the excellence of the US blogs, and Thinking Anglicans over here, and the whole world of modern communications technology, there really is no need to go. It is possible, and a lot less stressful, to cover this and other meetings perfectly adequately from my desk. (The Lambeth Conference is only 70 miles from where I sit but if I could get away with not going to that, I would.... Somehow I think the newsdesk might insist on that one however.)

Posted by Ruth Gledhill at Friday, 21 September 2007 at 11:46am BST

NP,
"chronology"

In what universe does the year 2000 come AFTER 2003?

It's also interesting that +KJS is providing parishes with episcopal visitors other than herself. I can't wait to see how the "reasserters" turn that into oppression. But then, I'm still waiting for an explanation of how her being PB is oppressive. There never seems to be an explanation, just the bald statement that she is.

"extra incense"

Given that many of these people come from conservative Evangelical backgrounds, and given that many of those "cradle Anglicans" who arfe part of the rebellion are of a Conservative Evangelical persuasion, an offer of more incense would probably be taken as another form of oppression by the "pagans" whose approach to God is more liturgical.

Posted by Ford Elms at Friday, 21 September 2007 at 12:49pm BST

_with the excellence of the US blogs, and Thinking Anglicans over here, and the whole world of modern communications technology, there really is no need to go._

And, by extension, no need to add anything else - what is only lazy journalistic bias.

Posted by Pluralist at Friday, 21 September 2007 at 2:00pm BST

ps The paper is prepared to send me and I'm willing to go to to the US to interview Bishop Jefferts Schori, but Bob Williams hasn't even responded to my interview request, never mind said 'yes' or 'no'.

Posted by Ruth Gledhill at Friday, 21 September 2007 at 4:00pm BST

As I read Ruth's earlier comment about not needing to attend meetings in order to report on them, sitting here in the press room in New Orleans, my colleague Jonathan Petre of the Daily Telegraph exclaimed that Ruth was on the phone, wanting to know what was going on.
So really need to be here, so long as you've got compliant colleagues whose papers have troubled to send them, eh? You needn't miss a thing really.....David Virtue's around too, so I dare say he cld do with a call.
We're sympathetic to Ruth's family responsibilities - we have them too - and I am sure that's why her travels are limited, but there's no reason to add a spurious excuse too.
It's almost as rich in chutzpah, or obtuseness, as Ruth's claim that because Oxford University issues a critical report on the state of theological teaching at the pphs (reported by the Church Times and the Guardian a month ago Ruth, so not exclusive to you), the university must be being taken over by atheists! Should they not have been critical, just to show how supportive they were of evangelicalism? Does evangelicalism benefit from not being challenged, or a university for allowing sub-standard courses?

Posted by stephen bates at Friday, 21 September 2007 at 4:28pm BST

pps: And we have several reporters based in the US who are more than capable of covering the meeting, should the paper deem it necessary.

Posted by Ruth Gledhill at Friday, 21 September 2007 at 4:43pm BST

PS: Perhaps if Ruth was actually to attend and report on meetings, she'd get herself known and trusted in the US and then she'd have more chance of meeting and interviewing people and also understanding what is going on rather better than she usually does. That's also better than standing bleating on the sidelines about how unfair it is not to get access.
It's also how I secured an interview with Katharine Jefferts Schori, the first by any newspaper journalist, British or American, two days after she was elected by the general convention in Columbus, Ohio in June last year.
Being there helps, Ruth