Comments: opinions at Whitsun

Who needs the pulpit when you can have the bully-pulpit? Bishop Robinson fared well against the robust questioning on Hard Talk and Newsnight. It would take a brave person to come on air to defend Windsor/Covenant. Indeed, you'd be hard pressed to find anything remotely critical of Robinson in the press, who received glowing coverage across the political spectrum. This was a significant media-coup. No wonder Lambeth organisers want to keep things low-key. One suspects they fear another sharia-gate style PR disaster in the summer. Bored journalists will have nothing better to do than stir things up. But it's only fair that the public should be made aware of the issues, and the consequences of outsourcing decision-making to international bodies.

Bishop Robinson is speaking at the Hay Festival. Presumably he would be able to preach and preside with the permission of the Church in Wales? Surely, the ABC's jurisdiction no longer extends to the other side of Offa's Dyke.

Posted by Hugh of Lincoln at Saturday, 10 May 2008 at 12:41pm BST

The path of even legal defiance was always open to Putney, but by Gene Robinson submitting to the Archbishop and permission, and having it rejected, he has grown in stature as the Archbishop and the system he represents has further diminished. Giles Fraser's article in the Church Times puts it very well, it is simply a display of stupidity by the authorities.

We know where we are with this - it all focuses upon this Covenant. Either this Covenant has to be worthless ineffective words or it has to be opposed by sufficient number of actual Anglican Churches to make it divisive and dead. It looks like we could be at the latter point already, even before this Lambeth Conference tries to push it further. So, because it does, the effort to kill the thing still needs to be made. Once it is dead, that centralised Anglicanism which the Archbishop of Canterbury has tried to pursue will be finished, and then hopefully people like Bishop Gene Robinson will be free to preach and preside in those Churches and parts of those Churches where this Covenant died.

Posted by Pluralist at Saturday, 10 May 2008 at 3:50pm BST

I just read the Spectator piece (and the comments).

I need a bath now. >:-/

Posted by JCF at Saturday, 10 May 2008 at 7:21pm BST

I confess that I, lifelong Anglican, had never heard of Maude Royden. Praise Christ for the glory of his saints! May holiness SOON be recognized in *whomever* it is to be found!

Posted by JCF at Saturday, 10 May 2008 at 7:27pm BST

Gene Robinson is speaking on a Sunday - May 25th - but not preaching in church. It will be a 90 minute lunchtime session (which I am chairing) starting at midday in one of the Hay Festival marquees - they've booked the biggest one. The speaker at the following session is Christopher Hitchens and later in the day Jimmy Carter will be speaking in the same venue.
Hay is over the border from England, just, but if Gene shouts loudly enough they may be able to hear him in Herefordshire. Doubt whether Bishop Priddis will want to do that though.....

Posted by stephen bates at Sunday, 11 May 2008 at 11:55am BST

We are having to pay £8 EACH to hear these two old codgers encouraging us to buy their books!!

As to preaching and celebrating in Wales ..... when I was engaged in planning an abortive visit here some years ago there were many churches and at least one Cathedral keen to welcome the Bishop of New Hampshire to preach and or celebrate wearing whatever size mitre took his fancy that day!
Scotland was keener still!!
The Welsh Assembly's Presiding Officer (an Anglican) was also keen to give the visitor a State welcome.

The Archbishop of Wales thought it a non question - he was a properly elected and consecrated bishop of the Church - he needed no special permissions .....

By the way I have heared that an UNSIGNED copy of the Church at War was spotted last week in the Rare section in one of Hay's many bookshops ......

Posted by Martin Reynolds at Sunday, 11 May 2008 at 10:53pm BST

Don 't think I've quite reached old codger status yet Martin (I am even younger than you, though less well preserved, obviously).....and you don't have to buy any of my books - I am sure I'll do quite well without you.
Considering I sold quite a few thousand copies of Church at War around the world I guess there are probably a few unsigned copies around, but if you let me know the bookshop in Hay where one remained unsigned I'll be sure to nip in there and mark it while I'm in Hay. Alternatively, I could also sign your unmarked copy, perhaps on the pages that featured your story.

Posted by stephen bates at Monday, 12 May 2008 at 11:09am BST

Don't mind Martin, Steven! I've read your book several times, and I have even gven away a couple copies to friends!

Posted by Kurt at Monday, 12 May 2008 at 8:33pm BST

Thank you Kurt. I don't mind Martin. And I'll sign your books anytime!

Posted by Stephen Bates at Tuesday, 13 May 2008 at 11:27am BST