Comments: Scottish Episcopal Church General Synod

I find the third question the most invasive and like in one of those bad surveys. Yes or no assumes yes there are extensive changes and thus will be adopted and no there are no extensive changes and thus can be adopted sooner. There ought to be a reply that says there is nothing that can be done to make viable adoption because it is a superfluous and unwanted damaging document.

Posted by Pluralist at Tuesday, 10 June 2008 at 5:08pm BST

The devil's in the details...

Posted by JCF at Wednesday, 11 June 2008 at 6:38am BST

We had holidays in Perthshire and Argyllshire a few years ago. Episcopal churches could be found and, when found, they were very friendly, but I have to say their publicity generally was abysmal and the congregations were very small (sometimes only half a dozen). As with the C of E but even more so, I wish church authorities would put far more energy into local mission than all this irrelevant and damaging macro- stuff.

Posted by john at Wednesday, 11 June 2008 at 10:51am BST

Yes, so often at churches around the UK one arrives for worship at the appointed, advertised hour only to find nothing doing that week, or at the next hamlet but one, or an hour later this week becuase of the brownies (or whatever).

There is a Presbyterian Church of Wales church in London whose board says 11 am every Sunday--but which I discovered meets monthly nowadays. I have never mangaed to attend worship there even though I eventually discovered it was on the first sunday. Last time I tried there were 4 of us on the step before the locked oak door ! A lady from glouctershire, me caome on 2 buses and a congregation membe with small child.

I have known parishes that cancel their 7 am daily mass sometimes on festivals,and have a big evening celebration--- and so you turn up early morning only to find you have wasted your time ! I no longer have the patience for all that.

Posted by L Roberts at Wednesday, 11 June 2008 at 3:24pm BST

"I wish church authorities would put far more energy into local mission than all this irrelevant and damaging macro- stuff." john

Posted by Davis d'Ambly at Wednesday, 11 June 2008 at 3:28pm BST

I don't envy General Synod much this afternoon, that's for sure.

Q1 I'm 50-50 on, depending on whether I'm being "innocent as a dove" (let's be seen to be involved) or "wiley as a serpent" (it's nothing but a wedge strategy designed to exclude a couple of provinces).

From what I remember of the relevant board's response a few months ago, the answer to Q3 is "yes, the whole thing needs rewritten to be *positive*".

Posted by Tim at Thursday, 12 June 2008 at 11:14am BST

`Hear, hear - let's get on with the Gospel. The local parish is where the action is anyway...'

Well, yes and no. Of course you meet "real people" on the street, but let's not forget that in posting here, you've just made the Web an entirely viable world in which the Gospel is enacted. :)

Posted by Tim at Thursday, 12 June 2008 at 12:35pm BST