Comments: Outbreak of peace?

What is this thing about imposing fancy titles on people that everyone, on both sides of the dividing issues, seems to be developing? Inclusive Church says that the president at its Eucharist is "Rt Revd Carlos Touché-Porter, Archbishop of Mexico and a Primate of the Anglican Communion."

According to the Anglican Communion website, his title is "Presiding Bishop of La Iglesia Anglicana de Mexico & Bishop of Mexico." ( http://www.anglicancommunion.org/tour/diocese.cfm?Idind=330&view=alpha ) He's not an archbishop. (I've been whining for a year on this subject about Venables; I don't need someone else to whine about!)

And what is a "Primate of the Anglican Communion"? I've never heard that term before. He's the primate of La Iglesia Anglicana de Mexico. The other term makes him sound like a cardinal and a member of the Anglican Curia. I would think that Inclusive Church would not want to encourage this tendency toward grandiosity that seems to be developing.

Posted by dr.primrose at Thursday, 17 July 2008 at 12:47am BST

Well said dr. primrose!

Posted by Martin Reynolds at Thursday, 17 July 2008 at 9:24am BST

Bishop Carlos refers to himself as the Archbishop of Mexico and is Primate of the Anglican Church of Mexico. He is therefore a primate of the Anglican Communion.

Posted by Giles Goddard at Thursday, 17 July 2008 at 11:11am BST

Not to be picky, but if the reference is to be used about any primate, the person would be a Primate "in" the Anglican Communion rather than "of" it.

Posted by Rae Fletcher at Thursday, 17 July 2008 at 1:39pm BST

Not sure that I see Richard Burridge as 'inclusive' in the sense of 'Inclusive Church'. As I understand him, he is totally inclusive in saying the Gospel is for all (sinners etc.) but fairly prescriptive once everybody is inside.

Posted by john at Thursday, 17 July 2008 at 8:57pm BST

"As I understand [Richard Burridge], he is totally inclusive in saying the Gospel is for all (sinners etc.) but fairly prescriptive once everybody is inside." - Posted by john

I don't know anything at all about Richard Burridge.

I DO know that Inclusive Church IS "fairly prescriptive" re sin. As always, the rub is ***WHAT CONSTITUTES SIN*** (which is dependent on one's INTERPRETATION of Scripture, Tradition and Reason).

I'm really tired of this canard, that "Inclusive Gospel", or "Inclusive Church", means "including [i.e., rationalizing or justifying] sin." This is NOT true!

Posted by JCF at Friday, 18 July 2008 at 5:13am BST

Not my implication.

I do know a bit about RB. I think that he's fairly prescriptive on the gay issue, i.e. he's not one to allow (much) for historical circs., progressive revelation, etc.

Posted by john at Friday, 18 July 2008 at 8:38pm BST