++John Sentamu's invitation to focus on togetherness and sharing our bounty reminds me of the Eight Degrees of Charity outlined by Maimonides the 12th century Jewish Philosopher. When there is such disparity between the "have" and "have not" even at the most basic level in thie world today, this hierarchy should make us pause for thought.
1. He who gives to the poor, but with bad grace.
2. He who gives with good grace, but not enough.
3. He who gives enough, but only after being asked
4. He who gives without being asked.
5. He who gives without knowing who will benefit from his gift.
6. He who gives without the beneficiary of the gift knowing who is helping him.
7. He who gives without knowing the beneficiary and without the beneficiary knowing him.
8. He who fights poverty by giving the poor man the means to escape from his condition.
Please note that comments are limited to 400 words. Comments that are longer than 400 words will not be approved.
Cookies are used to remember your personal information between visits to
the site. This information is stored on your computer and used to refill
the text boxes on your next visit. Any cookie is deleted if you select
'No'. By ticking 'Yes' you agree to this use of a cookie by this site. No
third-party cookies are used, and cookies are not used for analytical,
advertising, or other purposes.