Comments: Gregory Cameron goes to St Asaph

Rowan Williams will miss him, he's been a (good) power behind the throne.

Posted by penwatch at Monday, 5 January 2009 at 7:34pm GMT

Really healthy spiritual NEWS!

Felicidades from America Central to the Bishop-elect, St Asaph, Canon Gregory Cameron !

Posted by Leonardo Ricardo at Monday, 5 January 2009 at 8:15pm GMT

... a very good man. Congratulations.

Posted by Giles Fraser at Monday, 5 January 2009 at 8:18pm GMT

An inspired appointment, and really good news. Wales's gain will be our loss in London.

Posted by Philip Chester at Monday, 5 January 2009 at 10:31pm GMT

Isn't he one of the people who back the Anglican Covenant thing? I may have him confused with somebody else. If he is, then he's better off in the hinterland than whispering in Rowan's ear. Apologies in advance if I've got him mixed up with someone else. Obviously, I think the Covenant is a very bad idea.

Posted by Cynthia Gilliatt at Tuesday, 6 January 2009 at 2:42am GMT

I don't like the Covenant either but I hope Gregory Cameron would be assessed more generously and on a larger canvas. If the liberal part of the Church becomes a single-issue constituency what hope for Anglicanism!

Anyway, even St Asaph has the electric telephone.

Posted by Lister Tonge at Tuesday, 6 January 2009 at 12:50pm GMT

"Anyway, even St Asaph has the electric telephone." LOL!

When the Diocese of Virginia set up a toll-free number to reach diocesan offices, I, here in the Shenandoah Valley, called the diocese about something. Now y'all should know Richmond is about 120 or so miles away ... but you do have to cross mountains to get there. Anyhow, when I said I was calling from Harrisonburg, the operator is Richmond said, "Really? The 800 number even works out THERE?"

You're quite right to call me on tending to be a one issue person - always a danger for all of us who feel passionately about things.

PS: Am also old enough to remember the number you told the operator in my grandparents' small Missouri town [no fancy dial phones there in the 1950s]. It was "Nine Eight," and the operator as like as not would say, "Oh, you're Dr. Day's grand-daughter!"

Posted by Cynthia Gilliatt at Tuesday, 6 January 2009 at 4:41pm GMT

I don't know anything about the new Bishop and I expect that he is a fine man. But I am so happy that the Church in Wales has made sure that we know he is married and has three children. So that's all right then.

Posted by Richard Ashby at Tuesday, 6 January 2009 at 9:22pm GMT

Richard Ashby

The press release also mentions that Canon Cameron is "a strong devotee of Dr Who" (a British science fiction series, for those of you outside the UK). I don't read this to mean that all new bishops must show their orthodoxy in the key issues of whether the new Doctor is too young, for example.

Press releases try to put in background information to make their subjects more interesting. Like it or not, someone's family is part of that - it is not part of the Church in Wales trying to scream "and he's not gay!"

Good luck to Canon Cameron - I believe that St Asaph Cathedral is quite cold...

Posted by Richard at Wednesday, 7 January 2009 at 9:42am GMT

Well said, Richard.

It is worth noting, of course, that being married has never guaranteed being 'not gay', even in the Church and even amongst our bishops.

Posted by Lister Tonge at Wednesday, 7 January 2009 at 12:21pm GMT

Richard
There was a serious point behind my cynicism about the inclusion of the Bishop's marital status.

The inclusion of a statement that the Bishop (or indeed any one else holding public office) has a wife and children means that it increasingly 'normalises' marriage as the only state for office holders, meaning that those who are not married are regarded with curiosity at best or suspicion or worse by others. In the real world you can't even ask a question about marital status (or age) on a job application form, there should be no reference to it at interview either and it is regarded as irrelevant for post holders.

However, in this sexually aware age and especially with the church being in such a funk about homosexuality it does seem to me that a statement that a bishop or priest is married is deemed to be essential to stop awkward questions being asked. I do wonder, too, whether such preconceptions are deterring highly suitable people applying for or being selected for senior positions because thay don't match the increasing norm of being married.

The other thing is about the attempt to 'humanise' the appointee. The new Bishop is married with kids and likes Dr Who. It's a bit like politicians who these days seem to have to be followers of some top flight football team or to wake up to the music of some rock or pop band. It is an attempt to give these people something of the common touch, probably so that we can 'relate' to them in some way and feel that really they are just like us. Well actually they aren't like us and indeed if they were then perhaps light and amity would break out in the church and the world. But that's me being cynical again.
Happy new year

Posted by Richard Ashby at Wednesday, 7 January 2009 at 10:17pm GMT

Richard Ashby wrote: 'The other thing is about the attempt to 'humanise' the appointee. The new Bishop is married with kids and likes Dr Who. It's a bit like politicians who these days seem to have to be followers of some top flight football team or to wake up to the music of some rock or pop band. It is an attempt to give these people something of the common touch, probably so that we can 'relate' to them in some way and feel that really they are just like us.'

I can, if I stretch my mind back, remember several of Gregory Cameron's idiosyncratic hobbies (we were friends at university some 30 years ago and shared some of them). There is no reason to doubt that a real interest in 'Dr Who' was among them! It's not something invented for the present-day media.

Posted by Simon Kershaw at Thursday, 8 January 2009 at 12:18pm GMT

And what, pray, does the new Bishop-elect have to say about The Simpson's, I wonder. n.b., As a friend and colleague of the ABC he probably quite likes them. At least the Simpsons are not afraid to broach the forbidden world of homosexuality.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Thursday, 8 January 2009 at 10:27pm GMT

A press release from the Church in Wales? There was nothing on its website in advance of the election as there had been for other meetings of the Electoral College. That and the speed with which this election happened does make one question whether this was a 'done deal'. - And it is also worrying that this could bring with it 'covenant creep', unless Father Cameron has come out from under the shadow of Dr. Williams.

Posted by Commentator at Monday, 12 January 2009 at 6:40pm GMT