Comments: Communications breakdown

Here's a good a reason as any for dioceses and parishes to outsource their email. We've been using Google Apps since it came out and have been delighted with it. But there are other online hosted email accounts (like Tuffmail and Fastmail) and even online Exchange providers - any of whom would have helped prevent the situation above.

As we recognize that e-communications have become mission-critical to our daily work, this sort of failure is becoming something less and less acceptable.

Just because someone has the expertise to do something themselves doesn't mean that they should. (I speak from my own painful experience here.)

Posted by Nicholas Knisely at Monday, 16 March 2009 at 5:10pm GMT

Several obvious culprits spring to mind. Christian charity forbids their naming.

Posted by john at Monday, 16 March 2009 at 7:11pm GMT

I don't know the term 'mission critical'. Is it new labour?

Has email replaced being with people and relating to people in the same time and place then ?As I say I have no idea,wild surmise as I don't know of this term.

I do hope to receive minsitry from an actual person who comes along-side me.

Posted by Rev L Roberts at Monday, 16 March 2009 at 8:41pm GMT

Who's this "Mr McCulloch" chap?

Posted by Simon Kershaw at Monday, 16 March 2009 at 9:44pm GMT

If only this would happen to more bishops, the communion might find its way out of its present difficulties...

Posted by Rob Leduv at Tuesday, 17 March 2009 at 12:42am GMT

"Mission critical" is actually a military term to describe things which are essential if the mission is to be accomplished. These things may be logistical (enough fuel for the tanks) or capacity (enough divisions of soldiers) or preconditions (sufficient and accurate intelligence).

[Not strictly relevant to the thread, but it is worth noting that the US intervention in Iraq was lacking at least two of the three things I mentioned.]

Posted by Malcolm+ at Tuesday, 17 March 2009 at 2:49am GMT

"The problem is particularly embarrassing because Mr McCulloch serves as the CoE’s communications spokesman."

Priceless! The muted Communications spokesman . . . and just in time for the 97th anniversary of the Unsinkable Titanic. Why do we humans find it so hard to be humble, when it should be so easy? ;-X

Posted by JCF at Tuesday, 17 March 2009 at 4:41am GMT

- and I just thought it was a normal week!

Posted by Spideog at Tuesday, 17 March 2009 at 3:31pm GMT

Hmmmm, I don't recall Jesus of Nazareth, the Apostles, or St. Paul having these kinds of problems. Were the servers and spokespersons more reliable back then?

Posted by peterpi at Tuesday, 17 March 2009 at 6:53pm GMT

I blame Common Worship! Conspicuously lacking in its MP & EP is any sense of need for protection from danger and the enemy, unlike the robust collects in the Book of Common Prayer.

Posted by MH at Tuesday, 17 March 2009 at 9:38pm GMT

" "The central offices of the Diocese of Manchester were without email from 3-13 March (10 days)"
- and I just thought it was a normal week!"

I eat my words! Diocesan (snail-mail) mailings today weighed in at one and a half pounds.

Posted by Spideog at Wednesday, 18 March 2009 at 1:25pm GMT