Comments: Anglican news catchup

Re: Fellowship of Confessing Anglicans. I always have to ask...what are they confessing to?

The Anglican Communion has always been and remains a creedal church, not a confessing one.

Posted by Pat O'Neill at Friday, 3 April 2009 at 4:11pm BST

It is important to remember that Robert Duncan has been meeting with this same bunch--give or take a new guy here and there--since at least 2003. We actually have the meeting notes, thanks to the discovery process in Calvary v. Duncan. All that has changed is that they have given themselves fancy titles. They are GAFCON and he is the archbishop-designate. But it is the same guys, plotting the same stuff. Changes in titles change nothing on the ground, the ardent desires of the Living Church nothwithstanding.

Posted by Jim Naughton at Friday, 3 April 2009 at 6:40pm BST

{The Anglican Communion has always been and remains a creedal church,}

When did the Anglican Communion become a church?
News to me.

Posted by David Green at Friday, 3 April 2009 at 7:14pm BST

Re creedal church: How does one counter the nonbeliever argument that creedal ≡ don't confuse me with the facts, my mind's made up.

Posted by D. C. Toedt at Saturday, 4 April 2009 at 11:12am BST

Well, D. C., I've also seen "confessing" folks leave the same impression.

God bless the Church of England now that the Confessing Anglican folks are there. Considering their efforts to divide Anglicans in North America, one wonders just how welcome they'll be in the Province of Canterbury.

Posted by Marshall Scott at Saturday, 4 April 2009 at 10:28pm BST

Marshall, I can't help but wonder, given Rochester's sudden retirement, if Rowan Williams might soon have a Bob Duncan of his very own.

Posted by JPM at Sunday, 5 April 2009 at 2:18am BST

I wish that someone would ask the FOCA crowd about this proposal in Orthodoxy's Homeland, Uganda: http://www.pamshouseblend.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=9784

Posted by JPM at Sunday, 5 April 2009 at 4:12am BST

DC:

By pointing out that the creeds all begin with "I believe...." and noting that belief is not the same as knowing. I know how gravity works, it is demonstrated to me every day and I understand (somewhat) the math behind Newton's and Einstein's theories.

I do not KNOW the Trinity is true...but I believe it to be true, because it speaks to me of how I have seen God operate in my life.

Posted by Pat O'Neill at Sunday, 5 April 2009 at 11:55am BST

"The Global Anglican Future Conference (GAFCON) primates’ council will meet in London April 13-18. The Rt. Rev. Robert Duncan, Bishop of Pittsburgh in the Anglican Church of the Southern Cone and Archbishop-designate of the Anglican Church in North America, has been invited to attend as a guest, according to the Rev. Peter Frank, director of communications for the diocese." - Article - Living Church

The question might be asked: "What on earth are these people doing, plotting against the polity of the Anglican Communion on the turf of the Founding Church of that Communion"? It seems to me to be a bit cheeky to hold such nefarious meetings in the U.K. - when South America is crying our for tourist dollars. Accommodation expenses alone would help the Southern Cone to balance its budget, so why meet on foreign soil?
Or is there a visa problem for these foreigners in other places?

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Monday, 6 April 2009 at 12:19pm BST