Comments: no change to advice on Swine Flu

I still taken aback by the advice to intinct wafers and place them in the *hands* of the communicant. Is this actually happening?

Posted by BillyD at Sunday, 8 November 2009 at 2:20pm GMT

"It is understood that at the College of Bishops' meeting in Oxford this week "the president gave each person the option of receiving the wine or not. All bar less than a handful drank from the chalice." - Bill Bowder, Church Times 6 November -

I wonder whether those who chose not to receive from the Chalice at the Bishop's meeting could have been bishops who oppose women and gays in the Church? And, if so, could this be a simple coincidence?

I ask this, because of the fact that I have noticed that many of those who insisted on intinction, before the practice was forbidden, were usually scared of being infected by Gays at the Eucharist. In today's climate, they usually refuse to share the Common Cup.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Sunday, 8 November 2009 at 11:35pm GMT

Billy

Yes, that is actually happening, but without touching the communicant's hands.

Posted by Erika Baker at Monday, 9 November 2009 at 8:44am GMT

"Yes, that is actually happening, but without touching the communicant's hands."

But isn't it messy? Don't you end up with consecrated wine in the communicant's hands?

Posted by BillyD at Monday, 9 November 2009 at 4:16pm GMT

Billy
The priest dips the tip of the big consecrated broken wafer into the chalice and places a small drop of wine onto each small wafer. It barely wets the surface and only leaves a small visible red mark.
The wafer is then placed into the communicant's hands without the hand being touched.
No mess, just body and blood in one.

Posted by Erika Baker at Monday, 9 November 2009 at 6:43pm GMT

My church has made hand sanitizer available for those who choose to use it. We place pieces of bread in the hands of communicants. We're debating on whether to officially discourage intinction. We also have a number of homeless folks among members.

I've jokingly suggested adding bourbon whiskey to the Communion wine - it would kill more germs.

Posted by Weiwen Ng at Monday, 9 November 2009 at 7:30pm GMT

Erika, thank you so much for explaining that to me - I am relieved. My diocese published much the same guidelines, without explaining how it was to be done, and since we are not following those guidelines in my parish*, I imagined the worst.

* we're evidently putting our trust in high-alcohol wine, precious metals, and the mercy of God :-)

Posted by BillyD at Tuesday, 10 November 2009 at 12:53am GMT

Billy,
You were right to imagine the worst. I came across this last Sunday. A small wafer dipped in a chalice (about 50% of it, not just the tip) immediately before being placed in my hands. (A server was following the priest and holding the chalice for him).
Slightly messy but as much as I would have guessed. I wondered if I should lick the consecrated wine off my hand - didn't seem right to leave it there but it was so little it soon dried.

Posted by Tiffany Inman at Saturday, 14 November 2009 at 12:07am GMT