Comments: One, two, three

"Killing beasts"? Are there maneating tigers where you live?

Posted by brad evans at Sunday, 27 December 2009 at 9:31am GMT

Thanks Meg. It is our Patronal festival, and often hard to get people to attend if it falls mid-week, so soon after Christmas.

For a less theological and more 'novel' interpretation, I have been reading Niall Williams' "John" http://bit.ly/NiallW.

And on a much more surreal plane, The Beaker Folk of Hurborne Crawley http://bit.ly/Husborne have also made some new 'discoveries' on the various 'Johns'. There are clearly more than I had heard of before...

Posted by Alastair Cutting at Sunday, 27 December 2009 at 2:15pm GMT

No matter how nicely remade, it is described in a manner supernatural and out of keeping with the way I think practically and in the everyday. It's about an ethical stance is it? I dream of a Church... Why all the packaging of the speculations?

Posted by Pluralist at Sunday, 27 December 2009 at 6:22pm GMT

John the Evangelist is the patron of my church. The three Johns run together in my head, and I can never keep them straight. The new scholarship doesn't really help.

Meg, I like your linkage of the types of John, whether three or one, to the types of churches.

Posted by Grandmère Mimi at Sunday, 27 December 2009 at 8:00pm GMT

Sometimes, I wonder if we ought to hurl some of the scholarship out the window and say that John is all of them. It did not hurt our forebears in the faith to think that, and Bauckham's work (while disagreeing with the view that John the Evangelist was John the apostle) may actually lead us closer to that conclusion.

Posted by Ren Aguila at Monday, 28 December 2009 at 11:54am GMT

There was a song brought into the Church through the ministry of the Revd. Graeme Pulkingham which went something like this: "One, two, three, Jesus loves me; One, two, Jesus loves you". It might be nice if this sentiment were still around.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Monday, 28 December 2009 at 8:39pm GMT