Comments: Equality Bill: Church Times coverage

This business got me re-reading Prof Lawrence Stone's absorbing book "Road to Divorce.England 1530-1987" which shows just what confusion and collusion the Established Church was prepared to live with in the past and how curious marriage law in England has been been. Nearly every change in the law tended to be met with alarmist reactions. Plus ca change.

Posted by Perry Butler at Friday, 12 March 2010 at 10:06am GMT

May I add to Perry's comment my usual commendation of the excellent book 'Hanging in Judgement' by Harry Potter (really, he's a priest and a barrister) which documents the way in which the bishops used their position in the House of Lords to block attempts to abolish capital punishment?

Posted by toby forward at Friday, 12 March 2010 at 10:52am GMT

Yes Perry Butler too true. And the C of E bishops blocked reform on the abolition of the Death Penalty. Thus leading to many unavoidable deaths.

But then 'it all began' with a certain king Henry...

Posted by Rev L Roberts at Friday, 12 March 2010 at 12:38pm GMT

Synchronicity or what !

Toby Forward's comment had not been published when I wrote mine. I think there is something running deep here.

And what terrible wickedness it seems to us now. But to the bishops back then ? Were they subject to few 'bouts of Christianity' then ? Cf Barchester Chronicles.

Posted by: toby forward on Friday, 12 March 2010 at 10:52am GMT

But then 'it all began' with a certain king Henry...

Posted by: Rev L Roberts on Friday, 12 March 2010 at 12:38pm GMT

I have mislaid glasses and hope this is ok without ntheir aid.

Posted by Rev L Roberts at Friday, 12 March 2010 at 6:17pm GMT

Simon. It could have been useful if the articles you have mentioned from the Church Times could have actually been made available for comment here. It seems that only subscribers are able to access the articles at the moment.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Sunday, 14 March 2010 at 12:04am GMT

Ron, I did specifically state in the article that those items were currently subscriber-only. Normally I wait until items become free before linking, but on this occasion there was so much interesting material that I thought I would mention it sooner.

Posted by Simon Sarmiento at Sunday, 14 March 2010 at 7:21am GMT