Comments: Bishop of Wakefield writes about homophobia

"I do not meet rampant homophobia in society"

So Colin Coward believes homophobia only subsists inside the Church? Blimey. I'd suggest he needs to get out more, but it might be safer and more comfortable for him to remain exactly where he is.

Posted by rjb at Monday, 8 November 2010 at 12:04am GMT

I WANT to be impressed by +Wakefield's call---really, I do.

It just SOUNDS like it was dug out of time capsule---something the Church should have been saying, oh, 1990 or so?

"Like a Mighty Tortoise, Moves the Church of God", as the parody goes. I guess we queers should just be thankful, better LATE than never? O_o

Posted by JCF at Monday, 8 November 2010 at 1:51am GMT

Colin Coward is right. The Church (both CoE and RCC) will soon be the last group to see homosexuality as a "problem" -- young people today tell each other frankly "I like boys" or "I like girls" or "I like both boys and girls" as the case may be. The alleged disordered nature of the homosexual orientation is a non-issue. The fact that homophobia is "rampant" is no excuse for church obscurantism, just as the fact that racism is rampant would be no excuse for the churches to debate the "problem" of skin colour or racial inferiority.

Posted by Spirit of Vatican II at Monday, 8 November 2010 at 3:11am GMT

Well the bishop of Ws comments are most welcome, especially in those remarks where he takes a very special and open look at his own varying degrees of responsibility as a church leader, along with his own individual capacities for any sort of responsiveness expressed in seeking out relationships with queer folks and in listening.

However, by now, with the new fangled covenant pending that will be the death knell of exactly this sort of listening to queer folks - it all seems a bit late and a bit short. In the USA countryside, people talk about being a day late and a dollar short on changing for the better.

Even Canterbury talks a somewhat skewed and disturbed line, often sounding as if Anglican listening and respect for queer folks dignity and human rights were pat, neat givens - when in fact in Anglican life on the ground in innumerable local parishes, neither is accomplished, let alone given.

Alas, Lord have mercy.

Posted by drdanfee at Monday, 8 November 2010 at 3:35am GMT

rjb, I wrote accurately that I, personally, do not meet 'rampant' homophobia in society. I did not say that I didn't meet homophobia in society nor did I claim that it isn't there.

Your snide and ungenerous comment, which chooses to ignore what I wrote, in a careful, accurate and considered phrase, echoes my experience of conservatives opposed to LGBT people in the Anglican Communion. They distort reality and misrepresent what those advocating the full inclusion of all God's people write.

This may not be your position, and I am not assuming that it is.

Posted by Colin Coward at Monday, 8 November 2010 at 7:41pm GMT

Let's just hope that Bishop Stephen Platten's appeal for better understanding of homosexuality in the Church of England bears significant fruit. At least +Wakefield has the intestinal fortitude to speak for a down-trodden minority, whose path of faith in the Anglican Communion can be very hard - and in some places (Uganda and Nigeria) even life-threatening.

About time the English Bishops as a Body rose up in the cause of justice for all the Baptized - including women and the LGBT community. 'We are all one Bread, one Body, for we all partake of the One Bread' - True, or False ? en Christo!

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Tuesday, 9 November 2010 at 4:41am GMT