Comments: Episcopal Resignations - Friday roundup

I'm not a YouTube officionado but when I tried the link the page tells me that the 'video has been removed by the user'

Posted by Lister Tonge at Friday, 12 November 2010 at 10:51pm GMT

I, likewise, am not a fan of 'You Tube', so Ruth's comment will be lost on me. Why can't she just write about it in her newspaper column?

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Saturday, 13 November 2010 at 8:50am GMT

I too found the same notice on YouTube and was unable to view the video. I would have been interested as David Houlding addressed a deanery synod meeting on the subject of women bishops in Watford just over a week ago and was courteous and humorous.

Posted by Anne Peat at Saturday, 13 November 2010 at 8:56am GMT

Going direct from Ruth Gledhill's Twitter feed, this link works http://tinyurl.com/3xxjkcn

Posted by Anne Peat at Saturday, 13 November 2010 at 8:57am GMT

Anne, thanks for that link which I have used to update the link in my article.

Posted by Peter Owen at Saturday, 13 November 2010 at 10:37am GMT

Thanks for the mention on TA. The link is now here. I had to repost it twice for technical reasons, so the link kept changing, but I hope this is the final version. Ruth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKNAQOX34GI

Posted by Ruth Gledhill at Saturday, 13 November 2010 at 7:09pm GMT

Having now managed to see the video of Ruth's interview with Fr. David Houlding, I was quite impressed with the obvious sincereity with which he stated his views which, as he himself admits, may not be the views of everyone in his parish of the desirability of staying within the Church of England while others in F.i.F. move into the Ordinariate.

He and I share the same 'high catholic' understanding of the Church of England's role in the country of it's inception. I, too, am concerned that Anglio-Catholics remain within the Provinces of Canterbury and York - simply because much would be lost if their influence were to be ignored in the Church at large.

Where he and I differ is on the important view of the broader 'incarnational' understanding of the place of the human Jesus in our experience of redemption. I believe that Jesus was not just representatively male, but rather representative of the whole spectrum of humanity - male and female, black and white, Greek and Jew, straight and gay. Jesus, in my view therefore, can be represented at the altar by any of the categories of diversity in the human form.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Sunday, 14 November 2010 at 4:33am GMT

Well said, Fr Ron. I think you have expressed the (FWIW) majority Catholic view (not only w/in the AC, but in the RCC as well---just not among the Popoid subset!)

Posted by JCF at Sunday, 14 November 2010 at 11:17pm GMT

"I do not see the validity of insisting that Jesus could only be represented at the altar by a Jewish, circumcised and celibate, male rabbi." - Father Ron Smith

Nor did Jesus ask us to be either specifically Jewish or specifically "x;" it was to be what we did in imitation of Him. The embellishment from centuries-on followers has been rather phenomenal.

Jesus also did not ask us to be married or unmarried, nor did he discuss sexuality, nor did he demand other conventions of the Jewish culture -- and religion -- in which He was raised.

I am an Anglo Catholic who stands firmly with Ron Smith's focus upon a call for human diversity to represent Jesus at the Altar. Actions in imitation of what Jesus urged us to do is what should qualify all.

Posted by Jerry Hannon at Monday, 15 November 2010 at 2:30am GMT