Comments: What is the Anglican Covenant For?

YES ! I am sure the Anglican 'Covenant' will be able to advise on the use of the amice and the role of the monstrance...

Posted by Laurence Roberts at Tuesday, 16 November 2010 at 11:44am GMT

Maybe some see the component parts as 'too hissy-parous'.

Posted by Dr. Don Hands at Tuesday, 16 November 2010 at 12:47pm GMT

i suspect Paul Bagshaw is right and the communion is already fragmented. I am interested in his ideas for keeping future communication open.Can we learn anything from other world denominations I wonder? The problem of homosexuality affects not only us, but Lutherans and Reformed. How does the World Lutheran Federation or its Reformed equivalent manage this sort of conflict? Or Poorvoo for that matter. The Nordic Churches have ( increasingly) openly partnered gay clergy/ a lesbian bishop/ same sex blessings etc. Questions are asked in Synod, letters sent by Synod boards but is it likely thet the C of E will formally suspend communion with Denmark/Sweden/Finland so soon after establishing it ? And the Old Catholics? Havent heard of official moves to withdraw from the Bonn
Agreement over same sex blessings...all a bit odd it seems to me. Or do we in fact rate our communion with a province like Uganda or the diocese of Sydney more highly? If we do then perhaps we ought to be more explicit about this to these ecumenical partners.

Posted by Perry Butler at Tuesday, 16 November 2010 at 5:29pm GMT

fissiparous. That's one I shall use sometime...

Posted by Suem at Tuesday, 16 November 2010 at 9:34pm GMT

The problem of homosexuality affects not only us¨ Perry Butler

True, I was impacted greatly by it.

I almost killed myself by acting out in a state of drunken self-loathing--but then, quick as can be, zappo/presto, God took the self-loathing away from me...that was 33 years ago in December, and thanks to God, the Episcopal Church (and a few thousand other friends who supported me in my recovery) I became the authentic person God originally wanted me ¨to be.¨ No twisted Soul, afterall--where did it go? I knew intuitively the ¨homosexual problem¨ wasn´t even about ME (me, me, me), it was about YOU, YOU, YOU! Whew, Thanks be to God, that was a close one!

Posted by Leonardo Ricardo at Wednesday, 17 November 2010 at 2:59am GMT

"First, the unity of the Communion. Sadly, I think it’s too late - and perhaps was always too late. In fact it increasingly seems that pushing people to sign will be the last step in the de facto schism. By going for a Covenant that was acceptable to a sufficient majority of the players in Global Anglicanism the Covenant Design Group has failed to bring enough of the Communion on board."

- Paul Bagshaw -

If there were to be only one reason for NOT signing up to the Covenant, it would be this one. Schism - big-time - has already happened in the Communion. Evidence of this lies with the existence of GAFCON and ACNA - both of which sodalities have expressed disdain for the life of the Communion as it had always been - based on fraternal co-independence and reliance on the saving Grace of the Gospel.

What we have left would seem to be the Biblical Fundamentalist v the Prophetic Church, which treasures Scripture, tradition and REASON. This would be a very diffult alliance to belong to - for both sides. And anyway, the Global South seems not too keen to join, so why should we fuss around trying to accommodate their 'special needs', when there's a hurting world out there that needs to be loved.?

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Wednesday, 17 November 2010 at 8:38am GMT

Wow thanks for sharing that testimony Leonardo. It was almost like reading about myself.

Posted by Laurence Roberts at Wednesday, 17 November 2010 at 2:26pm GMT