Comments: New Year opinion

I am so very touched by the ABC's praise for the soon to be wed Royals. But isn't it the case that they have been living together for some time? Chastely, I assume. That used to be called 'living in sin.' Quaint.

And wouldn't it be nice if the ABC could see extending the joys of Christian marriage to couples other than straights?

Welcome to 2011 and same old same old from the ABC.

Posted by Cynthia Gilliatt at Saturday, 1 January 2011 at 1:19pm GMT

I was very moved by Simon Barrow's article on peasant Christianity and can also highly recommend Hauerwas' biography which is really a theological biography, as indeed it should be.

Posted by Sara MacVane at Saturday, 1 January 2011 at 2:51pm GMT

Re. Simon Barrow's comment on Canterbury's sermon.

It is fashionable in this country to exhort the poor, the downwardly mobile, and the unemployed to "make sacrifices," and to "bear their fair share" of doing without for the greater good of the nation. Such suffering is for their own moral improvement. Here in the deeply Calvinist USA, material hardship is always seen as a sign of sin, of some kind of moral shortcoming, even among Catholics, Jews, and secularists.

Such exhortations call to mind Anatole France's observation that "the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges."

Posted by Counterlight at Saturday, 1 January 2011 at 6:35pm GMT

I will add my applause and endorsement of Simon Barrow's "Peasant Christianity."

Posted by Counterlight at Saturday, 1 January 2011 at 7:15pm GMT

Hear, hear, Adam McHugh! FINALLY, someone speaks up for the introverts (sometimes that's hard for us to do, if we have to be among lots of people in order to speak up ;-/)

My IDEAL church experience: I go, I pray/praise/Eat Jesus, I'm dismissed, I leave (I *might* grab a Coffee Hour refreshment, but ONLY if I can get in/get out w/o encountering too many loquacious extroverts!)

I get enough (draining) conversational noise during the week: I don't need anymore Sunday mornings!

Posted by JCF at Saturday, 1 January 2011 at 7:54pm GMT

I liked Adam S. McHugh's article in the Washington Post, dealing with introverts and extroverts in the Church. Several years ago, my bishop told me that many, if not most, clergy are introverts who must behave like extroverts on Sunday mornings -- which is why they feel drained and tired on Sunday afternoons. It was very comforting to know that I was "normal".

Posted by Old Father William at Saturday, 1 January 2011 at 7:55pm GMT

"Several years ago, my bishop told me that many, if not most, clergy are introverts who must behave like extroverts on Sunday mornings -- which is why they feel drained and tired on Sunday afternoons. It was very comforting to know that I was "normal"."

Indeed. When I was starting the process of discernment, many years ago, I was with a cohort of about 20 people. We all took the Myers-Briggs assesment, and another test - can't remember the name of it. Anyhow, we met together on a retreat after getting our results. The people leading the retreat had us line up according to our scores on each of the 4 Myers-Briggs categories, from lowest to highest score. On the one that measures introvert/extrovert, all but one of us crowded the introvert side [me included]. The folks running the retreat said of course introverts function well in the church - we wear ceremonial clothes that separate us from parishioners, and stand behind a pulpit and and an altar - so we are "safe."

Makes sense to me.

Posted by Cynthia Gilliatt at Sunday, 2 January 2011 at 4:26am GMT

As an ENTJ (Myers-Briggs Type) I have little of any worth to contribute to this particular thread. Suffice it to say (albeit quietly) that not all clergy are necessarily introverts. Some of the best sermons I've ever heard have come from extraverts. Mid you, I always get my wife to check on mine before i deliver them.

Happy New Year!