Comments: St Paul's Cathedral: Friday roundup

Giles' description of cathedrals as the 'spiritual arm of heritage industry' made me laugh and reminded me of a Dean I once knew who described cathedrals as "theme parks"!

Posted by Martin Reynolds at Friday, 4 November 2011 at 10:39am GMT

I have just read through this weeks Church Times, and the letters covering the subject.
It seems to me that one Giles Fraser is thoroughly enjoying his time in the lime light, and this is encouraged by the Church Times, and others.

My thoughts and prayers are for the Deanery Chapter and staff who are quietly continuing their duties, and the round of worship within the cathedral. Including the priestly pastoral care, and the ongoing witness of the St Paul's Institute.
Finally my thoughts and prayers are for Bishop Graeme and his wife Susan who again have been faithful stewards of the witness, work and prayer at St Paul's Cathedral.

Fr John

Posted by Fr John E. Harris-White at Friday, 4 November 2011 at 12:06pm GMT

Giles Fraser -
For too long the Church has been obsessed with its own internal work­ings and with silly arguments about sex.

Christian Concern -
'...almost certain that homosexual campaigners will commence litigation' against churches that refused to allow civil partnerships.

Andrea Williams (Chichester general Synod rep)
'This move (permitting civil partnerships in church) is likely to open the door to severe restrictions on religious liberty...'

All in this week's Church Times.

Posted by Richard Ashby at Friday, 4 November 2011 at 5:19pm GMT

Actually the placard says Gilse Fraser for Bishop - either way he'd have my vote

Posted by Stephen at Friday, 4 November 2011 at 6:14pm GMT

"God help us if the man's placard becomes a reality at the present time. It says Giles Fraser for Bishop."

Yes, if Giles becomes bishop, I *do* believe that would demonstrate God's Gracious Help.

Merciful Lord, reform your CofE!

Posted by JCF at Friday, 4 November 2011 at 7:24pm GMT

John Harris-White's comment is unpleasantly close to an ad-hominem attack.

Generally, let me say that to a degree it is irrelevant whether we find duties pleasant or not - what matters is doing the will of God. Fraser is very plainly doing what I and others consider the will of God.

'Enjoyment' only enters into it in so far as we are often called by God to exercise gifts he has given us (vocations)which is in a general way more pleasant than the up-hill work of doing that for which we have neither taste not gift. Communication of plainly one of Giles Fraser's gifts, and I hope that as he moves forward he finds a role where he can exercise it.

Posted by Rosemary Hannah at Friday, 4 November 2011 at 11:26pm GMT

Why do anti-gay christians have to lie ? Or do they really believe they are in danger ?

Are they being saved / served ?

Posted by Laurence Roberts at Saturday, 5 November 2011 at 12:15pm GMT

At least, the former Canon Chancellor, Father Giles Fraser, has been invited by the Bishop of London (and, I suspect, with the support of Archbishop Rowan) to be part of the St.Paul's Institute Team to meet up with City Financiers, in a new strategy to become a bridge facilitator. He will be good at it.
This would enable a turnaround in the public view of how the Church can better deal with the situation.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Sunday, 6 November 2011 at 10:25am GMT

As I keep saying there is a vacancy in Chichester for a Bishop. Giles would be a miracle. Our worst fears are that a non woman-ordaining man will be foisted on us against the will of the clear majority. Hope for the best, fear the worst.

Posted by Richard Ashby at Sunday, 6 November 2011 at 5:24pm GMT