Comments: Green Pilgrimage Network launched

God bless!

Posted by JCF at Saturday, 26 November 2011 at 1:43am GMT

It's good that the Church of England is getting involved in dialogue about Green issues, but how much damage is done to the environment by Shell Oil (in which we have an £82million investment), and mining companies (in which we have £72million invested)?

Posted by Susannah at Sunday, 27 November 2011 at 10:38pm GMT

Susannah. Just one question: Do you drive a motor car or use any gadget powered by fossil fuels?

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Sunday, 27 November 2011 at 11:32pm GMT

Fr Ron: Not an entirely relevant point, and a bad line of argument. If one could wish oneself out of a hegemonic global system, it wouldn't be a hegemonic global system to start with.

And for the record, I don't drive or own a car, but that's mostly due to general ineptitude rather than principle.

Posted by rjb at Monday, 28 November 2011 at 10:17am GMT

Father,

No I do not own or drive a car. I've no doubt I receive benefits of fossil fuel somewhere, I'm not sure where, but presumably if I switch on a light, a proportion of the electricity has been generated by a coal-fired power station.

It is both the ethical and the environmental record of Shell that I am uncomfortable with, which makes me question a green Church seeking a share of its profits and dividends.

No-one can detach entirely from companies and goods that cause environmental impact, but a hopefully ethical Church should maybe be challenged to question its choices of investment for profit. It doesn't have to invest in Shell. It chooses to.

As I am committed to the religious life, I have no real interest in possessions or profit, and I'm not sure it's entirely fair to suggest my personal low-carbon existence subverts what I feel is a legitimate question about ethical investment (if that was your intent!).

But I nearly always appreciate your posts, which often resonate with me, so I shall cut you some slack ;)

Susaanah

Posted by Susannah at Monday, 28 November 2011 at 11:45pm GMT

Thank you, Susannah. I appreciate your remarks. I do think, though, that the Green Party conglomerate does have some responsibility to offer a viable alternative to ways of coping with the modern world that take into account the massive impact of the structures that have supported both fossil fuels and the employment opportunities they have afforded so many of the world's population. We need to find a way of replacing the massive input of technology while still providing livelihood for those who will be displaced by sustainable alternatives.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Tuesday, 29 November 2011 at 10:20am GMT