Comments: O Rex Gentium : O King of the Nations

Yet more proof, that you are inventing a new religion and not " reforming" an old one.

Posted by robert ian williams at Thursday, 22 December 2011 at 7:12am GMT

gosh Andrew - that is good.

Posted by Rosemary Hannah at Thursday, 22 December 2011 at 7:17am GMT

I'm not sure many people will appreciate the description of the Eucharist as petrified, precious, prescribed, authorised, sanitised...

I liked this piece overall, but this part seems to me to be a dig at traditional liturgy and understanding of ordained ministry which doesn't fit well with the rest of the writing.

"Precious liturgy" can be one of the most beautiful ways in which we honour and glorify God - it is how I came faith - so it seems a shame to dismiss it so easily.

Posted by Fr James at Thursday, 22 December 2011 at 9:16am GMT

Robert, I'm neither inventing a new religion nor reforming a new one. The religion we've got is the only pool I've ever stepped into and not touched the bottom, and I expect to die never having done so. What I am doing is pointing out what has always been there. In addition to the scriptural material to which I alluded, you look at the murals on early Christian sarcophagi and they depict healing and food-sharing.

Fr James, does this mean there is a straight line between the Lord's Supper of 1 Corinthians and the mass? I don't dig at traditional liturgy, I participate in it on a daily basis, but I do so on the understanding that it points to common-wealth values. My experience is that this connection is not self-evident.

Posted by Andrew Spurr at Thursday, 22 December 2011 at 10:17pm GMT

BTW, thanks Rosemary. ;-)

Posted by Andrew Spurr at Thursday, 22 December 2011 at 10:19pm GMT

Rosemary, a lot of this overflowed from a recent book group we did on Dom Crossan's 'The Greatest Prayer', well worth a look, as is any of his stuff.

Posted by Andrew Spurr at Friday, 23 December 2011 at 12:16pm GMT