Comments: Parliamentary debate on Women in the Church of England

This was an excellent, in-depth and thoughtful debate with cross-party support. Interesting that apart from Diana Johnson MP who introduced it the others who contributed were all men. Worth reading.

Posted by sally Barnes at Wednesday, 29 February 2012 at 9:42am GMT

How sad that with the state the country is in, parliament has to spend time discussing the internal politics of a Church.

However I hope parliament will realise that the Covenant if adopted by Synod, is a usurpation of parliament's powers over the self same Church.

Posted by Robert ian williams at Wednesday, 29 February 2012 at 4:46pm GMT

To me, the greatest act of generosity and Christ's love would be for a woman to be elected the next Archbishop of Canterbury.

Posted by Chris Smith at Wednesday, 29 February 2012 at 7:09pm GMT

What a jolly good presentation by the female proposer. This just goes to show that women can be just as objective and lucid as the male of the species - when allowed a voice in the community.

I guess the same needs to be encouraged in the leadership of the Church. Jesus honoured women - in a society where this was definitely not encouraged. Perhaps more encouragement is needed from the male hierarchy of the Church - to give women the full exercise of their leadership as Bishops. "Male and female created (God) them!"

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Thursday, 1 March 2012 at 4:15am GMT

I'm sorry. I get the historical context of the Church of England, etc, etc, etc, probably better than most Brits do.

But as a Canadian Anglican, I would find it immoral and offensive that matters concerning the governance of my church would be politically debated by the state.

It's time to free the Anglican Church in England from the state.

(Don't get me wrong; I personally happen to think it's right that given the situation, Parliament is doing its best to give the hint to the CofE that they might want to welcome in the 20th century -- never mind the 21st -- sometime soon. But it's just BIZARRE as an Anglican outside England to see a government debating your church matters, period. Separation of Church and State, as Charles has hinted at, would solve the matter.)

Posted by Randal Oulton at Friday, 2 March 2012 at 2:43am GMT

Interesting thought, Randall. I'm afraid though, that without the intervention of the government on human rights matters in England, the Church might never get down to the business of looking at them.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Friday, 2 March 2012 at 9:58am GMT