Comments: Bishop of Liverpool on the Anglican Covenant

I thought Liverpool a good possibility for ABC last time -- I thought perhaps not this time because of his age, but the subesquent post makes me reconsider. I think that Liverpool might be just what is needed now for the ABC.

Posted by Prior Aelred at Sunday, 18 March 2012 at 3:35pm GMT

I think the last thing 'Liverpool' needs is endorsement from the savants of TA. So I'm supporting another candidate ...

Posted by john at Sunday, 18 March 2012 at 7:02pm GMT

Positioning himself for the succession already!

Posted by Spirit of Vatican II at Monday, 19 March 2012 at 1:01am GMT

I think that +James Jones, as an acknowledgedly 'reformed' Evangelical Bishop (but not 'Reform') would make an excellent Archbishop of Canterbury.

Part of +James' reformation came when he began to understand that the LGBT community is made in the very same Image & Likeness of God as the majority of human beings who happen to be heterosexual. He also is aware that no Covenant process like the one suggested would ever entice the GAFCON Primates back into filial relationship with progressive Churches of the Communion. That must be a plus - in the light of current developments.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Monday, 19 March 2012 at 10:38am GMT

I think +James Jones' concerns about the Covenant are long standing and sincerely held. If the Covenant is rejected in England then it makes a lot of sense to consider people who have developed a different way of thinking about the Communion.

A rejection of the Covenant is a major reversal of the leadership within the CofE and the Communion as a whole over the last 10 years or so and leadership that understands that and has an alternative way forward is important.

Posted by Craig Nelson at Monday, 19 March 2012 at 2:02pm GMT

Craig, I agree with you, because I too have watched this man for a fair while. But: if he is thought a 'liberal' candidate, it will scupper him. Also: I share 'Spirit''s unease about the timing of this manifesto. Father Ron: I don't agree with you. This man is not a 'liberal' or 'progressive' in your sense: he is a 'liberal pluralist'. Excellent - I am with that (although I am also 'liberal'/'progressive' in your sense). Bu the inescapable 'quid pro quo', which you never seem to grasp, is that 'liberals' like us HAVE to extend generosity to 'non-liberals' (like, for example, Father David). That seems stomaching some things we disapprove of, just as (sensible) 'non-liberals' have to stomach some things from us.

Posted by John at Monday, 19 March 2012 at 7:55pm GMT

My only response to your comment here, John, is that of my old primary school motto: 'To thine own-self be true'. Bending over backwards to accommodate what one feels, instinctively, to be wrong is what has landed the Communion into this pickle we are in!

Unity is not necessarily 'going along with' - at the price of personal integrity; whichever side we find ourselves on. I suppose that Jesus' liberality was a mark against Him, but it didn't prevent him continuing to be seen with 'the wrong people'. In fact, he paid the price for His openness to the despised and rejected of society.

Sometimes we need to stick our necks out, and be recognised for what we are and what we believe in. After all, the 'other lot' do.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Tuesday, 20 March 2012 at 4:40am GMT

Father Ron,

If that's what you believe, you should not be supporting Jones.

Posted by John at Tuesday, 20 March 2012 at 10:57am GMT

John, I am not of the Evangelical school myself, but that would not prevent my supporting +James Jones. He appears to have relented on the old con-evo position about LGBT people, and to my mind, that needs to be supported. Generosity begins at home, and home is where the heart is. The Church has been equivocal about common justice for too long.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Wednesday, 21 March 2012 at 8:12am GMT