Comments: Women bishops: do not amend the current draft legislation

How can this be considered wonderful news for the Church of England? Unless one is a liberal Protestant.

What about fulfilling our Lord's desire that all his children should be one? What about our fidelity to the ancient three-fold order and the faith delivered to the Saints? What about our reunion with Rome and the East, and our tragic separation from the ancient seats, descended from the Apostles? What about our Sacraments and Apostolic Succession?

Maybe you think that all of these are meaningless, and that the brave new world stretches out in front of you. But, in prayer, I truly fear for this.

From all false doctrine, heresy, and schism; from hardness of heart, and contempt of thy Word and Commandment, spare us O Lord.

Posted by Tristan at Thursday, 17 May 2012 at 10:23am BST

"If the House of Bishops can’t bring itself to wholeheartedly endorse women’s ordination, I think I will feel I have to vote against the Measure at Final Approval, rather than vote for enshrining theological incoherence and gender discrimination in Canon Law.

- Miranda Threlfall-Holmes April 2012 -

The Rev. Miranda Threlfall-Holmes in her article on this thread, makes very plain her feelings about the importance of the House of Bishops not altering the 'Draft Measure' that was passed by the last General Synod Meeting. As Chaplain of Durham University, Miranda - together with many other academics in the Church who are female - here states her absolute intention to abide by the decision of the July General Synod on the status of Women as Bishops in the Church of England.

Her commitment to this cause is backed by her determination to vote in accordance with whatever decision is made - on the basis of whether, or not, the Draft Measure is compromised by any form of amendment that would undermine the authority of a Woman Bishop in her own diocese, by virtue of any provision for alternative oversight by a male bishop who disapproves of women bishops.

This stand, I believe, shows Miranda - and most of the WATCH movement - to be firm in their desire that there be no spiritual or jurisdictional difference between the roles of male and female bishops in the Church of England. This is a stand which, hopefully, will help the House of Bishops to think clearly about what they would be enabling or disabling in the way of allowing God's call upon Women into the Episcopate without prejudice - an important factor for the ministerial integrity of the Church in England.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Thursday, 17 May 2012 at 11:24am BST

Tristan reminds us very clearly why:
"the Church of England cannot hold two opposing views on women’s ordination simultaneously"
From all blindness of heart; from pride, vainglory, and hypocrisy; from envy, hatred, and malice, and all uncharitableness,
Good Lord, deliver us.

Posted by Martin Reynolds at Thursday, 17 May 2012 at 5:09pm BST

I find the tone of Miranda Threlfall-Holmes' piece unattractive. I don't believe that comment is sexist, because I find the tone of many men unattractive. On the other hand, I also strongly believe that the likes of 'Father David' have to give us more, not in the sense of agreeing with us, but of acknowledging the legitimacy of our positions within the broad church C of E.

In the same spirit, I also disagree with 'Tristan'. The alternative to 'international Catholicism' (which doesn't actually exist) is not 'liberal Protestantism', it is 'reformed Catholicism'. That's what we - most of us - here would describe ourselves as. Dreadful as the Reformation often was (perhaps especially in England), it was still a historically necessary and inevitable thing (the vernacular was liberating) and in the end brought freedom.

Posted by John at Thursday, 17 May 2012 at 7:23pm BST

"From all false doctrine...(etc)"

Back atcha, Tristan.

JCF who, the Lord being merciful, would see my Catholicism compared to that of the Bishop of Rome.

Posted by JCF at Thursday, 17 May 2012 at 9:33pm BST

Dear Tristan, you are living in some 19th century Roman Catholic fantasy world. I pray that you will repent from your heresies and follow Christ, rejoicing that our sisters will finally be welcome as equals.

Posted by Scott at Friday, 18 May 2012 at 2:24am BST

Tristan, I laugh. I really do.

I would think that making some women bishops would end division.

It would _help_ make all God's children one.

And let me let you in on another secret. The faith was not delivered once. It is still being delivered.

And there are Saints today who are receiving it.

Posted by Jeremy at Friday, 18 May 2012 at 2:50am BST

We are one, Tristan. Through Christ. If Rome and the Orthodox refuse to accept this, that is their heresy and hardness of heart, and I *do* pray for their delivery from it. Christ decides communion, not us, not scripture, not tradition, not even reason, just Christ.

Posted by MarkBrunson at Friday, 18 May 2012 at 5:04am BST