Comments: Election of the Archbishop of Canterbury

'To all and singular Christian people' 'universally' 'by Divine Permission'

Not a lot of humility in much of this, is there? I like traditional forms, but ...

Posted by Scot Peterson at Thursday, 10 January 2013 at 10:44pm GMT

Congratulations, Archbishop. Thanks for taking this on... and every good wish for accomplishing its purpose.

Posted by Jonathan at Friday, 11 January 2013 at 12:17am GMT

It's the 'all and singular' that gets me.

Talk about redundant.

Posted by Jeremy at Friday, 11 January 2013 at 1:31am GMT

See my comment on Archbishop of Canterbruy's Website below,posted last night.

Posted by Perry Butler at Friday, 11 January 2013 at 8:21am GMT

BTW, I join Jonathan in wishing him well. I'm just not amused by the form of the announcement of the 'vote'.

Posted by Scot Peterson at Friday, 11 January 2013 at 8:41am GMT

I think the Dean has got it wrong - Justin Welby has been Bishop of Durham by Divine Providence, not Permission; should I go to the Confirmation of Election at St Paul's and try to derail the process by raising an objection?!

Posted by peter kettle at Friday, 11 January 2013 at 9:14am GMT

'All and singular' is quite a (small 'c') catholic approach. The scope of those persons addressed is limited to 'whom the underwritten shall or may in any way concern', but this is the Church of England.

It may be legalese (like 'jointly and severally liable'), but 'To those en masse and as individuals' doesn't quite do the trick, does it? ;-)

Posted by David Shepherd at Friday, 11 January 2013 at 9:53am GMT

All very Elizabethan, quaint and lovely - but at what expense of time and energy? However, nostalgia can be quite uplifting (and no less diverting) in times of stress.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Friday, 11 January 2013 at 10:06am GMT

I think you'll find that the formal style used for diocesan bishops is 'by divine permission', whereas the formal style used for archbishops is 'by divine providence'. So the Dean is correct.

Posted by Simon Kershaw at Friday, 11 January 2013 at 10:12am GMT

If you look at the photographs, you will see that there were three lawyers present, one of whom is John Rees, the provincial registrar for Canterbury. I'm sure that between them they got the wording correct. Another example of "by divine permission" can be seen on the ordination certificate in this photograph.

Posted by Peter Owen at Friday, 11 January 2013 at 11:04am GMT

Perhaps by "singular" they merely hope to keep abreast of movements of modernity amidst the Church of England, seeking to address those candidates for the episcopacy, who, being civilly partnered, are able to answer in the affirmative (should it come to such a pass before a panel of their peers-to-be) that they are indeed "singular" corporally, notwithstanding the existence of the civil partnership by the laws of England, construed by others -- perhaps less Christian in outlook -- as always having a physical sexual manifestation. =:-)

Posted by Dion at Friday, 11 January 2013 at 2:23pm GMT

Perhaps I shouldn't trust Wikipedia! - but I have seen reference elsewhere to 'providence' rather than 'permission' elsewhere, though I can't at the mooment locate it.

Posted by peter kettle at Friday, 11 January 2013 at 4:25pm GMT

"'To those en masse and as individuals' doesn't quite do the trick, does it?"

Maybe not, but it sure adds clarity.

I semi-seriously thought maybe they were addressing all Christian people and including the unmarried ones.

Posted by peterpi -- Peter Gross at Friday, 11 January 2013 at 9:50pm GMT

I was wondering what had happened to Bob Willis since the 1981 Ashes series.

Posted by David Keen at Saturday, 12 January 2013 at 10:42am GMT

Peter K is correct - Durham alone amongst the bishops joins the two archbishops in holding his see by divine providence. Amongst ecclesiastical correspondance with government released a couple of years ago there was a sniffy letter from the then chaplain at Auckland Castle to No. 10 complaining they'd made the same mistake the dean has made. That was sent in 1944. Wonderful sense of priorities.

Posted by Stuart, Devon at Saturday, 12 January 2013 at 1:41pm GMT

All right Stuart, now you've raised my ire. There were government officials in *Whitehall* paid with taxpayers' money during the war, for heavens's sake, who were diverting energy to this? Cite please? I can't begin to express how angry this sort thing makes me.

Posted by Scot Peterson at Saturday, 12 January 2013 at 7:21pm GMT

How many Primates will turn up to the Enthronement I wonder?

Posted by Perry Butler at Saturday, 12 January 2013 at 11:18pm GMT

Stuart - does the Bishop of Durham reign with divine providence rather than divine permission because he is successor to the Prince Bishops? The Dunelmian mitre on the bishop's coat of arms still bears the coronet - let us hope that someone of princely stature is found to be the next occupant to sit upon the highest episcopal throne in Christendom.

Posted by Father David at Sunday, 13 January 2013 at 5:23am GMT

Fr David, I assume that is correct. I have seen references to it being due to the "divine providence of the city's founding", but that sounds like the Durham Tourist Board have been putting some spin on it.

Scot, you are of course right, but I mainly find it amusing that in the middle of the war someone still thought this important enough to address. The letter was included in an article in the Church Times when the papers were released - a year or two back. I'm afraid I don't have the time to dig it out now, but a bit of searching should find it.

Posted by Stuart, Devon at Sunday, 13 January 2013 at 4:17pm GMT

Stuart - "divine providence of the city's founding" - well, if you have ever been to Durham you will realise that it is indeed "The Zion of the North". If you want to read of Durham's praises being sung - I can think of no finer exposition than a sermon entitled "The Durham Tradition" preached in the cathedral church on 27th January 1932. This appears in a book named after the preacher N.P. Williams by Eric Waldram Kemp.

Posted by Father David at Sunday, 13 January 2013 at 5:38pm GMT