Comments: Enough Food For Everyone If

This is the sort of thing that we should be speaking out on. Will anyone hear?

Posted by Susan Cooper at Wednesday, 23 January 2013 at 11:31am GMT

I hope so. Finally I'm hearing the Good News from CoE.

Posted by Cynthia at Wednesday, 23 January 2013 at 12:36pm GMT

No it's not. By all means put pressure on governments etc. but only if you've stopped eating meat, sold your car if you can, and stop buying from those so-called companies that evade taxes in the developing world, otherwise it's the political equivalent of adopting a panda.

Posted by Lorenzo at Wednesday, 23 January 2013 at 3:35pm GMT

more contentiously, tell the Catholic and Islamic agencies in that lot to start distributing condoms: the population of Ethiopia has doubled since Band Aid, most of it settled in non-sustainable land. We in Britain live non-sustainably too.

Posted by lorenzo at Wednesday, 23 January 2013 at 3:43pm GMT

at least that's what I'd want to hear from the CofE to its own members before preaching to the wider world. Also, singling out bio-fuel companies for special condemnation when they create jobs and wealth among largely agrarian communities when the aim of the campaign seems to be to simply feed more people who will also need energy comes across as either disingenuous or stupid.

Posted by lorenzo at Wednesday, 23 January 2013 at 4:22pm GMT

I'm not sure I completely agree w/ you, Lorenzo (actually, I'm sure I won't give up meat and my car), but the prophetic challenge of your words is something we (I) need to hear.

Posted by JCF at Wednesday, 23 January 2013 at 11:21pm GMT

One thing that could make a real difference, also, to the problem of hunger in the world would be to encourage contraception in countries where food resources are scarce. In a rapidly expanding world population, prospective parents have a moral responsibility to ensure their children can be fed.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Friday, 25 January 2013 at 8:58am GMT

Hard to be lectured on this subject, by the very same Anthony Priddis, whose claim to fame till today has been for anti-gay behaviour toward a
diocesan youth worker.

A vital and hugely pressing problem indeed, but it is hard to continue in a spirit of trust, from such a (suspect,'unrepentant') source.

I dread tokenism.