Comments: Church Commissioners Questions - women bishops

"It is important to try, as quickly as possible, to find a way forward that enables fresh legislation to be brought before the General Synod in July."

I see the hat. I don't yet see the rabbit.

Posted by Jeremy at Friday, 25 January 2013 at 1:06pm GMT

'shows no acceleration of the usual glacial way in which the Church of England operates?' Diana Johnson MP

Thank heaven for Parliament and for systems and processes to hold the Church of England to account. Diana Johnson's scrutiny was particularly apropos and brought an inner response in myself, due to the element of recognition !

LGBT continue to wait, also.

'We asked for bread, and you gave us stone'. Me quoting Una Kroll quoting Jesus, at the General Synod that voted women ministers down, all those years ago.

Posted by Laurence Roberts at Friday, 25 January 2013 at 4:27pm GMT

"Like a Mighty Tortoise moves the Church of God!"

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Friday, 25 January 2013 at 10:49pm GMT

Thank God for the "usual glacial way in which the Church of England operates". Didn't Archbishop Sentamu in a former incarnation once say:- "Like a mighty tortoise moves the Church of God"? I seem to remember my sainted Granny once saying to me - "Act in haste - repent at leisure". I think we need to take a leaf out of Rome's book on this one - "In the Vatican we think in centuries"

Posted by Father David at Saturday, 26 January 2013 at 5:58am GMT

"In the Vatican we think in centuries"

Mostly the eighteenth.

Posted by Anonymous at Saturday, 26 January 2013 at 3:27pm GMT

re 'Anonymous'; I would have thought earlier - maybe up to the fifteenth.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Sunday, 27 January 2013 at 8:28pm GMT

Fr. David, an American such as myself is always at risk commenting on British church-state relations, but I strongly suspect that Parliament isn't going to allow significant delay, let alone "centuries" in this case. The real question seems to me whether change will be directed from within the Church (in a rapidly closing window) or legislatively imposed.

Posted by John Wirenius at Tuesday, 29 January 2013 at 11:52am GMT

"The real question seems to me whether change will be directed from within the Church (in a rapidly closing window) or legislatively imposed."

This is indeed the question of the moment. Can the Working Group get far enough ahead of the parliamentarians to hold off the political pressure?

One rather doubts it.