Comments: Remember that you are dust

That's beautiful, thank you for posting it.

Dust. I was in Port-au-Prince, Haiti a couple of months after the earthquake. The dust was unforgettable. It was everywhere, covered everything. If you swept, there was more the next day. It was everywhere and it was a constant reminder of the death and destruction (quite viewable) that had happened there and the grieving that was in progress.

Just before leaving, a priest reminded me that it was from dust that God created humankind, and God breathed life into it, into us. Sure enough, that dust also contained signs of the Resurrection, supported by the faith, hope, and love of the people.

We are truly dust, I've Witnessed this reality on a tragically vast scale. But we are God's own dust.

Thank Rosemary, your piece jogged my memory...

Posted by Cynthia at Wednesday, 13 February 2013 at 7:11am GMT

Wasn't Rowan's post 9/11 book called "Writing in the Dust"?

Posted by Father David at Wednesday, 13 February 2013 at 7:37am GMT

As I watch the snow falling on an unnaturally silent street, it's hard to get my head round the vastness of the planet let alone the universe, and yet God is intimately involved in every snowflake that falls.

Posted by Barbara Quigley at Wednesday, 13 February 2013 at 9:03am GMT

Having just received the Ashes (from last year's incinerated Palm Crosses), during which we were reminded that "We are but dust, and unto dust we shall return", I was reminded of our common human frailty in the sight of our Creator.

Rosemary's reflection well substantiates this need to understand the reality of our earth-based physicality. The humus of our humility is a very good place to start from - in order to recognise our need of spiritual regeneration on a daily basis - refraining from placing too much reliance on our earthly affections, knowing that they will, one day, be assumed into something more glorious.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Wednesday, 13 February 2013 at 9:37am GMT

Anybody? Anybody? No? Dust.

Posted by Marjorie Dawes at Wednesday, 13 February 2013 at 11:32am GMT

We are dust but we are star dust- a tiny but precious part of God's wonderfully intricate Universe lnked to all the other universes. It's mind boggling but wonderful

Laus Deo

Posted by Jean Mayland at Wednesday, 13 February 2013 at 4:16pm GMT

Very moving, very thought provoking, thanks for this.

Posted by Rod Gillis at Wednesday, 13 February 2013 at 4:35pm GMT

Great post! Thank you.

Posted by Josh L. at Wednesday, 13 February 2013 at 9:43pm GMT

Of course, in my usual cussed way I resist this. It is too abject. If God is our Father, as we profess, then He has a duty of care to us, just as, as parents, we have a duty of care to our children. In orthodox Christianity (an orthodoxy very much shared by Thinking Anglicans) there is far too much emphasis on sin.

Posted by John at Wednesday, 13 February 2013 at 9:45pm GMT

Wonderful. A blessed Lent to all at TA.

Posted by JCF at Wednesday, 13 February 2013 at 9:52pm GMT

Gosh, beautiful, thanks.

Posted by Richard Wilson at Wednesday, 13 February 2013 at 11:03pm GMT

Didn't mention sin once John...

Posted by Rosemary Hannah at Wednesday, 13 February 2013 at 11:43pm GMT

OK, Rosemary, I stand corrected. The rest I stand by. The basic point is, I think the whole emphasis is skewed. Ash Wednesday, etc. I do it too (couldn't yesterday because of work commitments). Like Aeschylus, I think we need (only among many other things) the concept of a developing God.

Posted by John at Thursday, 14 February 2013 at 8:26am GMT

Out of interest John, are you willing to say why you think we need "the concept of a developing God"?

Thank you for the reflection, Rosemary.

in friendship, Blair

Posted by Blair at Thursday, 14 February 2013 at 7:57pm GMT

Thank you Rosemary. Inspired.

Posted by Laurence Roberts at Thursday, 14 February 2013 at 9:19pm GMT

'are you willing to say why you think we need "the concept of a developing God"?' (Blair 14th Feb).

Equally though it seems impolite or impossible to raise it here, the same question is germane of 'the concept of God' itself.

I imagine that the word 'God' is employed, and deployed here in many differing ways, including 'Process', 'God language' and nontheistic ways.

Posted by Laurence Roberts at Friday, 15 February 2013 at 1:00am GMT