Comments: Breaking the Rules

Don't popes - like monarchs - have to wait until there is a second bearing the same name before they get a regnal/papal number? Elizabeth I was simply Queen Elizabeth until the advent of Queen Elizabeth II. Similarly Pope John Paul I was simply Pope John Paul until the election of Pope John Paul II. Therefore should the present pope who advocates simplicity - simply be known as Pope Francis not Pope Francis I?

Posted by Father David at Sunday, 17 March 2013 at 7:08am GMT

What a beautiful discernment of inner meaning to the story of Mary Magdalene - who because the 'Apostle to the Apostles' after offering her 'all' to Jesus.

I suspect that Mary could never have be emboldened to offer this sacrifice, if she had not been pretty sure of his acceptance and care for her as sinner!

Perhaps our Church needs to reach out a little more extravagantly in love and forgiveness - to sinners (like ourselves) - in order to really experience and know the compassion of Jesus that can actually change ordinary lives into treasure for God. Pray for me, a sinner...!

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Sunday, 17 March 2013 at 7:38am GMT

@Father David: The Pope has made it clear that he is Pope Francis, not Pope Francis I.

Posted by Locuste Iste at Sunday, 17 March 2013 at 5:48pm GMT

@ Fr David: Whilst Francis is as noted not Francis I, John Paul I was always John Paul I - or at least that was how he was announced in the 'habemus papam' speech. See video here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8umNO-Dsaw

The speech starts about 1:30, actual announcement of the name is at 2.40 ish.

In this he was unusual, the last pope who was a first was Pope Lando, who is is still known simply as such. There is no youtube of him, but then he was Pope 913-914.

Posted by Tom at Sunday, 17 March 2013 at 6:44pm GMT

Two reactions:

(1) Father David, hope you're here exhibiting signs/vestiges of your 'Reformed' lineage;

(2) As for the woman's 'anointing' of Jesus, instead of these unfocused maunderings, isn't it crucial (operative word) that this occasion marks the 'anointing' of the 'Christ'?

Posted by John at Sunday, 17 March 2013 at 7:32pm GMT

"instead of these unfocused maunderings," - John

Bang goes the Sacred Triduum! For some, anyway.

I'm sure there were people in the crowd on Good Friday who would have made the same remark as John here. They couldn't bear the thought of suffering.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Monday, 18 March 2013 at 10:42am GMT

Don't understand your comment, Father Ron. Mine put the emphasis - precisely - on 'suffering' (cf. 'crucial').

Posted by John at Monday, 18 March 2013 at 7:10pm GMT