Comments: Passion and Passion

"Can it be that the true question is not that of how a God of love can allow bad things to happen, but of how great must be the love that can know, feel and embrace all that suffering, and taking it, transform it into more love?" - David Walker -

The good Bishop of Dudley here clearly enunciates what is at the heart of the 'mystery of suffering'. It is a fact of life here on our planet. It can either be redemptive or blasphemous. We can choose whether or not we can identify with the suffering of other people (and with Christ), or to reject its redemptive aspect.

Blessed Francis, I believe, was ready to share in the suffering of others for Jesus' sake - and thus to harness its redemptive power to love.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Sunday, 24 March 2013 at 7:55am GMT

Thank you David for a thoughtful piece for this coming week.
It is so good to "come across " you again.
Please could you let me have your e-mail address.
Eric (you might not remember me of course)

Posted by Eric Armitage at Sunday, 24 March 2013 at 9:27am GMT

Thank you for this reflection +David. The tussle between intellectual thinking and love for God and neighbour is one that I experience every day. A timely exhortation for me to take the lead of love though Holy Week.

Posted by Roger Antell at Sunday, 24 March 2013 at 11:37am GMT

Thanks for comments so far. Having penned this piece my day was actually dominated by being the lead spokesman across most UK national media challenging the anti-immigration sentiment that is sweeping through mainstream UK political parties at present, especially over Housing allocations (of which Eric is far more of an expert than me).

Eric, best way to get in touch is to tweet me at @bishopDudley alternatively look me up via our diocesan website www.cofe-Worcester.org.uk I do remember you and owe you a great debt for modelling how Christian faith and social action cohere.

Posted by David Walker at Sunday, 24 March 2013 at 11:05pm GMT

Thank you David. I cannot cope with the sole idea that Jesus' suffering redeemed us, but His Love - oh yes, amen to that

Posted by Una Kroll at Tuesday, 26 March 2013 at 1:04pm GMT

Thank you for this very sensitive piece.
It reminds me of something in one of Jim Cotter's collections ..
'"Words of God"? Forgive me for having created a world in which so much pain has to be allowed if I am truly to be a God of Love and enable you to love with a love that is worthy of the name.'

But the sheer quantity of innocent suffering still makes this hard I find.

Posted by David at Tuesday, 26 March 2013 at 4:06pm GMT

Sorry to sound a dissentient note. This piece doesn't even begin to probe the questions of evil and suffering.

Posted by John at Tuesday, 26 March 2013 at 9:04pm GMT