Comments: YouGov poll on Religion for the Sunday Times

To paraphrase Spurgeon: you can be sure that the church the world loves God will hate.

Didnt Jesus warn His church not to love the things and the ways of the world, but rather to love Him and people. However the world wants its ways loved - then the church will be relevant as it will be singing a song that the world likes - such as love of money and loving ourselves (we wont even go to sex).

Posted by David at Monday, 1 April 2013 at 11:13am BST

So 75% of UKIP voters feel that the C of E is 'out of touch'. I suppose that means that the C of E is too liberal?

Proof that at least we've got something right.

Posted by Concerned Anglican at Monday, 1 April 2013 at 2:02pm BST

Compare these results with some other polls, e.g. the one quoted in the Daily Mail on Saturday, from earlier in 2013, originated on behalf of C4M:

Posted by Simon Sarmiento at Monday, 1 April 2013 at 3:59pm BST

See BRIN discussion at http://www.brin.ac.uk/news/2013/winter-2013-cpanel/

Posted by Simon Sarmiento at Monday, 1 April 2013 at 4:15pm BST

I find it unlikely that 62 percent of CoE members couldn't name Rowan or 71 percent couldn't name Justin. To me this throws a lot into question, even if I like the results on WBs.

Posted by Cynthia at Monday, 1 April 2013 at 7:11pm BST

Cynthia I have no problem believing those two percentages, as vast numbers of people in England pay very little attention to C of E matters. And yet would call themselves CofE when asked.

Posted by Simon Sarmiento at Monday, 1 April 2013 at 8:09pm BST

Cynthia,
I agree with Simon. Our parish system means that everyone living within the parish boundaries can ask for a baptism, marriage or funeral from their parish church,whether they ever attend that church or not.
Membership of the CoE therefore goes well beyond the Electoral Roll and the majority of people will say of themselves that they are "CoE" even if they never ever go to church and know nothing about it.

Posted by Erika Baker at Monday, 1 April 2013 at 9:35pm BST

Thanks for explaining that quirk!

I'm pretty sure that in TEC plenty of people lose track of the current PB... I lost nearly an entire decade of Griswold as PB.

Posted by Cynthia at Monday, 1 April 2013 at 11:19pm BST

Cynthia, Simon, and Erika,

I'm not sure we can read much into that. I'm a member of the National Trust, the Royal Astronomical Society, and the Co-Op, and, until I just looked them up, I couldn't have named the chief executives of any of them.

Posted by Feria at Tuesday, 2 April 2013 at 11:29pm BST

Aren't we all dispondant that according to the statistics on 54% of our parishes trust their vicars? This is dismal.

What's to blame? My previous research tells me it is mainly down to the lack of moral fibre that many vicars have shown.

Posted by Bob at Monday, 8 April 2013 at 6:33am BST

Bob,
if we look at the overall picture, where most people who identify as being a member of the CoE never actually go to church, chances are they do not know "their" vicar. So their mistrust will come from the public image the CoE has in this country.

If the survey had differentiated between nominal members of the CoE and churchgoing members, I dare say the percentage trusting their vicar would be considerably higher.

Posted by Erika Baker at Tuesday, 9 April 2013 at 9:10am BST

Yes agree, agree Erika. Sadly though, it only takes one vicar to make it into the press for the wrong reason and many, in their minds, are then tarred with that brush....

Posted by Bob at Tuesday, 9 April 2013 at 2:15pm BST

Bob,
yes, it can be one vicar. Although I personally think it's more likely the sustained onslaught of one George Carey, of high profile court cases brought by the Christian Institute, of the Synod vote on women bishops last year, of high profile pronouncements on marriage equality...

you can believe that all these things are right and of God, but it will mean that in our society, fewer and fewer people will consider trusting their local priest with anything that requires nuance on moral questions, compassion, acceptance etc.

This is the price the church is paying for its noisy public certainties.

Posted by Erika Baker at Tuesday, 9 April 2013 at 6:16pm BST