Comments: Bishop of Salisbury writes to Lord Alli

Well I think this is wonderful.

Posted by John at Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 10:22am BST

My Diocesan Bishop, +Nicholas Holtam, has my full support for his position on 'gay marriage'. I warmly endorse his thoughtful analysis and quiet leadership in matters of human sexuality with which the Church of England wrestles.

Robert Key
Chair, House of Laity, Diocese of Salisbury.

Posted by Robert Key at Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 10:33am BST

I think that it is a shame that the transcript of +Nicholas Sarum's letter carried on this site doesn't include the italicised emphasis on the word "may" in the third paragraph "that the couple may have children" that appears in the copy on the Salisbury diocesan website.

Posted by RPNewark at Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 10:34am BST

At least one brave affirmation of Same-Sex Marriage in the C.of E. House of Bishops. Would there were more!

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 12:05pm BST

My error in publishing, now corrected RPNewark.

Posted by Simon Sarmiento at Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 12:09pm BST

"The possibility of ‘gay marriage’ does not detract from heterosexual marriage unless we think that homosexuality is a choice rather than the given identity of a minority of people."

Gay marriage does not detract from straight marriage at all.

[sarcasm on]

Unless you think that God has a limited supply of this thing called marriage, and that if gays get married, there might not be enough marriage for everyone else.

Posted by Jeremy at Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 2:09pm BST

Awesome.

Posted by Cynthia at Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 4:36pm BST

Come on you church leaders.... a bit of public support for the Bishop of Salisbury if you agree with him....I suspect he may be getting a lot of hate mail and abuse.....he gives great encouragement to people like myself.

Posted by Robert Ellis at Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 4:52pm BST

It's really encouraging that the Bishop of Salisbury has written this.

Posted by Flora Alexander at Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 5:39pm BST

Bravo, My Lord.

Posted by Feria at Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 7:03pm BST

I agree with Robert Ellis: come on guys, bishops, senior clergy, give Sarum a bit of support and like-minded fellowship. If he can say it, you can too.

Posted by Sara MacVane at Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 8:53pm BST

"Telegraph Edward Malnick Opponents of gay marriage like supporters of apartheid, says senior bishop"

"Daily Mail People who oppose gay marriage are like Christians who used the Bible to support apartheid and slavery, says senior bishop"

Good to see the rightwing British press are providing their usual Fair & Balanced coverage. {sarcasm/Off}

Seriously, thank you Bishop Holtam. If you are receiving unfair, hyperbolic spin from predictable quarters, at least *some* of us Anglicans can see your proclamation of the GOOD News in response to Lord Alli.

Posted by JCF at Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 9:13pm BST

Thank you, +Nicholas. Thank you.

Posted by Charlotte at Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 10:46pm BST

At last! A bishop prepared to speak up for what is right and good and fair-minded! Of course he is being attacked by the Daily Mail! (He must be doing something right.) Compare and contrast with the weasel words of the Bishop of Leicester.

Posted by Stephen Morgan at Friday, 31 May 2013 at 1:16pm BST

As a CofE priest who entered into a civil partnership recently with my partner, I'm pleased that the Bishop of Salisbury has put his head above the parapet on this issue. There are many Anglicans in England who would support Bp Nicholas, and many who don't see what all the fuss is about. My partner and I have received huge support from both past and present congregations and also from those on the very fringe of our current church.
I have never made a choice about my sexuality or about falling in love - the only choice I've made is to declare publically my commitment to someone who is very dear to me.
Let's get on with proclaiming Christ's Gospel!

Posted by Shaun at Friday, 31 May 2013 at 10:06pm BST

I'm pleased that the Bishop of Salisbury has joined in this debate.

I am troubled however that he suggests that the possibility of ‘gay marriage’ might detract from heterosexual marriage if homosexuality is a choice.

I disagree. Same-sex marriage only detracts from heterosexual marriage if it is an immoral state of being and a means by which gay couples bring harm upon the lives of straight couples and of wider society. I don't believe it does and that's why I'm in favour of it.

How one becomes straight has no bearing on one's capacity for living a moral life. How one becomes gay has no bearing on that either.

Posted by Kelvin Holdsworth at Saturday, 1 June 2013 at 4:04pm BST

I am proud to have a bishop who is courageous and honest.If the bench had more of his ilk we would be in a very happy place!

Posted by Jeremy Ames at Thursday, 6 June 2013 at 9:49am BST