Comments: David Walker to be next Bishop of Manchester

Congratulations to David Walker. A Thinking Anglican is appointed as a diocesan bishop!

Posted by badman at Wednesday, 5 June 2013 at 12:26pm BST

He sounds like he really walks the walk !

Social housing, equality, and immigration really vital gospel work.

Also I.M. background which is often a good sign.

Christ knows we need more people commited to real work for the kindom and Queendom og heaven...

Posted by Laurence at Wednesday, 5 June 2013 at 3:38pm BST

Oh, that David Walker.

Posted by Chip at Wednesday, 5 June 2013 at 3:48pm BST

This is excellent news!

Posted by Erika Baker at Wednesday, 5 June 2013 at 5:57pm BST

This photo may help with any confusion over which David Walker has been appointed to be Bishop of Manchester.

h/t to the other David Walker

Posted by Peter Owen at Wednesday, 5 June 2013 at 6:06pm BST

Really good appointment. Not only does he walk the walk and walk the talk, he does it in "sandals", which I understand is his affectionate nickname. The CofE underestimates the importance of this diocese; his ministry is just what is needed.

Posted by Anthony Archer at Wednesday, 5 June 2013 at 9:47pm BST

"Manchester England England
Across the Atlantic Sea
This pick is genius genius
I believe in God
And I believe that God
Believes in David
That's he that's he."

[With apologies to Hair lyricists Rado&Ragni!]

Posted by JCF at Wednesday, 5 June 2013 at 10:46pm BST

I surely like the social focus. I am eager to find out if Manchester got the gay friendly bishop that they requested. If so, wonderful! If not, why not? And would that mean that another generation has to suffer the drivel, intolerance and bigotry that was on parade in the House of Lords?

If Manchester didn't get their man, despite their request and presence on the CNC, I would think that the process would need a look.

Posted by Cynthia at Thursday, 6 June 2013 at 12:13am BST

Oh, I'm in Manchester diocese and am about to start ordination training. I'm guessing from the comments we should be pretty happy with his appointment?

Posted by Daniel Walters at Thursday, 6 June 2013 at 9:05am BST

Daniel - I've known Bishop David for many years, and would say absolutely "yes". The Diocese of Manchester have made an excellent appointment, in my opinion, and I am sure will be tremendously blessed by and through his ministry.

Posted by Chris Routledge at Thursday, 6 June 2013 at 11:21am BST

I remember the wonderful Ian Stubbs and then tremendous spirituality of St Chrysostom's, priest and peoplewhen the last bishop of Manchester threw LGCM out of his cathedral ten years ago.

Every blessing to the diocese and its new bishop, that God's love be made real in their common life!

Posted by Martin Reynolds at Thursday, 6 June 2013 at 7:54pm BST

The bishop elect is held on our prayers prior to his arrival.
THE only matter of importance is that ALL guidance for David Walker comes only from the Holy Spirit and not by the machinations, the designs of mere man.
This is a new phase in the life of our new bishop.

Posted by Sam at Monday, 1 July 2013 at 10:33pm BST