Comments: Diocesan reorganisation in Yorkshire

Isn't there a Diocese of Leeds already. Surely in this age the Church of England should be a little sensitive to its ecumenical partner?

Posted by Joseph Golightly at Monday, 24 June 2013 at 11:14am BST

Would that be the ecumenical partner that declares our orders to be "entirely null and totally void"?

Posted by Stuart, Devon at Monday, 24 June 2013 at 11:30am BST

Yes it is the RC Diocese of Leeds whose last Bishop (now working for the Curia in Rome ) was a very hard man. Yet it is true that the RC Diocese has been Leeds since its establishment. The Anglican Diocese was Ripon with an ancient church as its Cathedral. A few years ago it added the name Leeds to Ripon. Now it seems ready to drop Ripon which I think is sad.

Posted by Jean Mayland at Monday, 24 June 2013 at 12:07pm BST

I would like Jean Mayland to substantiate her comment about the last Bishop of Leeds being "a hard man." In what ways can such a claim be proved please?

Posted by Benedict at Monday, 24 June 2013 at 9:22pm BST

Being a 'hard man' (or, I imagine, woman) may be a deplorable quality in a Christian, but I have noticed that it is often a tremendous asset in a bishop.

Posted by rjb at Tuesday, 25 June 2013 at 5:30am BST

Thanks for highlighting this - Its really important we have a national debate before a diocese is dissolved against its will.

Posted by Tony Macpherson at Tuesday, 25 June 2013 at 9:19am BST

Stuart. Probably but the CoE has over the recent past totally ignored its ecumenical partners in both the Catholic and Orthodox churches on the sublect of women's ordination. Don't kid yourself that you accept catholic doctrine (Archbishop Fisher) and then ignore the comments. Best to accept that the CoE is protestant and go along with all that - no problems with that but don't dabble!

Posted by Joseph Golightly at Wednesday, 26 June 2013 at 8:20am BST

I must say that I too favour small where possible, but the material provided by the diocese of Wakefield to justify its survival is not very good. I, a natural ally, was not left crying "to the barricades", in fact it seemed to me hat there was some obfuscation a deliberate ploy NOT to give the real reasons against this feared annexation.

Can someone tell a complete outsider: What is going on?

Posted by Fr Alan-Bury at Wednesday, 26 June 2013 at 10:03am BST

The days when a diocese can declare UDI are over; that's what the Dioceses etc. Measure is all about. Sorry Wakefield.

Posted by Anthony Archer at Wednesday, 26 June 2013 at 1:04pm BST

Regarding Joseph Golightly's original question, I can't see that creating a "Diocese of Leeds" is remotely insensitive or an ecumenical partner. RC and Anglican bishops/archbishops of Southwark, Birmingham and Liverpool, and dozens of international examples, including four in New Zealand, seem to work adequately together.

Regarding Fr Allan-Bury's question, I am also a complete outsider - about as far from West/North Yorkshire as one can get - so I may be wrong, but I understand that what we used to call churchmanship may be a factor. Isn't Wakefield something of an Anglo-Catholic area?

Posted by Edward Prebble at Wednesday, 26 June 2013 at 10:28pm BST

Whether Wakefield is as Angl Catholic as it once was, I think you will find that it was the very Catholic Bishop of Pontefract that voted in favour!

Posted by Ian at Friday, 28 June 2013 at 11:54am BST

In response to Benedict.

I knew the previous R C Bishop of Leeds well when I worked for CTBI. He was Secretary to the RC Council of Bishops for England and Wales. I and Colin Davey ( now dead) my predecessor had numerous struggles with him about our ecumenical work and both received letters which were unspeakably horrid. We shrugged and pressed on. As Bishop of Leeds he chaired the RC Commission on the liturgy which undid the fruits of ecumenical co operation eg the 'we' form of the Nicene creed , the acclamations etc and took the RC Church backwards liturgically.

Posted by Jean Mayland at Friday, 28 June 2013 at 12:25pm BST