Comments: General Synod - Tuesday morning round-up

From the ludicrous to the sublime(ly ludicrous). I assume I don't need to specify which points I am referring to here.

Posted by Sara MacVane at Tuesday, 9 July 2013 at 6:06pm BST

It's official. The CofE is obsessed by sex. I hope those who are quizzed aout their sex lives lie and lie again.

Posted by Richard Ashby at Tuesday, 9 July 2013 at 6:21pm BST

Another thought: but wait a minute, why only civilly partnered (gays) and divorced (marrieds?)? Sound a bit like discrimination to me - what about us singles - whether same or opposite sex inclined? Shouldn't we be interrogated too? I'm not saying I do have a sex life (wish I did though) .... And what about non-divorced marrieds? orthodox (or non-orthodox, God forbid) positions and practices ... and what about those who are already bishops and archbishops? Have they been properly (so to speak) interrogated? equal treatment for all please. Sillier and sillier.

Posted by Sara MacVane at Tuesday, 9 July 2013 at 7:33pm BST

Sara,
I'm afraid, your proposals do not go far enough.
Are we forgetting Proverbs 6:25 and Matthew 5:27-28?

What we really need is a rigorous process to ensure that no-one who ever even thought about sex before they were married is considered to be sufficiently pure. During marriage, they must only ever have thought about sex in connection with their spouse. And should they be widowed, they must prove that they ceased thinking about sex from that day forward.

And I want independent witnesses to certify that they always slept with their hands folded over their bedclothes.

Posted by Erika Baker at Wednesday, 10 July 2013 at 9:31am BST

If the two archbishops are that interested in other peoples sex lives there are web sites they can go to!

Posted by Stephen Morgan at Wednesday, 10 July 2013 at 11:22am BST

At the risk of stating the obvious, the original text on which the two stories above, by John Bingham and Steve Doughty, are based, can be found here at Q56

Posted by Simon Sarmiento at Wednesday, 10 July 2013 at 4:17pm BST