Comments: interim bishop for St Edmundsbury and Ipswich

This blog carries a vast amount of information about the appointment of Church of England bishops. I mean, we get to know the inside of a gnats rear end when it comes down to episcopal - who, how and whens.

The synodical affairs of the Church of England are also explored in minute detail and we even get the parish magazine inserts ....

Posted by Fr Alan-Bury at Friday, 12 July 2013 at 10:40pm BST

Man, we used to be able to buy some great used books from Ipswich. Got my copy of Bicknell there.

Posted by Rod Gillis at Saturday, 13 July 2013 at 12:53am BST

"Is this an historical peculiarity of this blog? If so, it could do with being reconsidered. It is beyond tedious."

The characteristics of this blog are the decision of the very kind people who put in their time and effort to run it, who post things they think will be of interest and information to those who read it. It is not up to us to tell them that their blog needs reconsidering. There are plenty of other blogs around and I am sure that many of them cover the areas you would wish to see focused on. (If not, it is a very simple matter to start a blog - and free using something like blogger.) So it is over to you on that one, and many thanks to those who labour to bring us the information that many of us would not be able to access any other way. Yes, sometimes we need to know about synodical affairs - they have a bearing on the way we run our churches.
Sorry if I sound waspish, but it seems to me that the TA blog editors ought to be given a medal and our grateful thanks...

Posted by Anne at Saturday, 13 July 2013 at 10:00am BST

'It is beyond tedious.'

If you don't like it, don't read it - simple! No need to go to the lengths of writing such a derogatory comment to the good people who work hard on this blog. Keep up the info giving and good work please TA editors!!

Posted by Simon at Saturday, 13 July 2013 at 3:02pm BST

Just because you aren't interested, doesn't means others aren't interested. I am, for example.

Posted by badman at Saturday, 13 July 2013 at 3:25pm BST

Thinking Anglicans is an excellent resource and all thanks are due to the team who run it.

Posted by GR at Sunday, 14 July 2013 at 9:32am BST

I agree with Anne, the TA team should be given medals.
Not only for the comprehensive information and archives they offer but for having developed a forum where people with different views can engage with each other constructively and without lapsing into toddler tantrums, as happens on so many other religious blogs.

Posted by Erika Baker at Monday, 15 July 2013 at 8:31am BST

Simon was right of course, I should just ignore it!
But one does get the impression this blog is edited only by MEN and that thy are all of a certain age .....
As to not telling people the blog needs a shake out, that is nonsense. A blog that allows the sort of critical comments we see against a fairly wide range of targets can hardly expect to remain unnoticed.

Posted by Fr Alan-Bury at Monday, 15 July 2013 at 9:30am BST

There are plenty of other blogs around which might well suit Fr Alan-bury better. But for the rest of us TA provides both an excellent and unique news service and a place to engage constructively with the issues that concern us. It also provides and invaluable space where ideas and opinions can be shared and I forone gain sustenance in the continuing struggle against the ignorance, indolence and folly of the Church of England.

Posted by Richard Ashby at Monday, 15 July 2013 at 9:43am BST

Fr Alan-Bury
"Besides, the editors here had the opportunity to review my post and indeed delayed a little before posting it so, take what you will from that."

I have often found that some of my posts have ended up in TA's SPAM and it took a while for them to appear (if they appeared at all).

As far as I know posts are never edited (although Simon has extremely kindly removed some of my worst typos before) and never not published.

What I'm really confused about is why you object to posts about appointments. Why are they so tedious that they ought to be reconsidered? Many of them have generated interested comment threads. Not all, it is true, but nor do all other posts.

What would you put in their place?

Posted by Erika Baker at Monday, 15 July 2013 at 12:57pm BST

Perhaps Richard Ashby might publish a list. I made my comment because I think there is too little news provision from a UK liberal perspective Anglican or Catholic and what there is, is often written by male anoraks with an interest in steam engines.

This is a lot better than nothing, I happen to think it could be a lot better. No offence intended.

Posted by Fr Alan-Bury at Monday, 15 July 2013 at 1:54pm BST

Fr Alan-Bury,
do you have examples of news that you would have liked to have seen covered but that TA did not include?

Posted by Erika Baker at Monday, 15 July 2013 at 2:23pm BST

Well, Erica Baker I am feeling that perhaps the liberal bent of this blog might bend a little further in the radical direction - a little less tea and Battenburg and a little more grass roots chaos as Giles Fraser usefully opines above.
"the church lies not in its prince bishops but in its congregations"

Posted by Fr Alan-Bury at Monday, 15 July 2013 at 3:04pm BST

I can say categorically that I have no interest in steam engines (other than as a scientific discovery and historical means of providing industrial power).

Without commenting on appointments generally, I simply note that this particular one concerns someone who has been a regular contributor to TA, and especially to the 'just thinking' reflective pieces that appear here from time to time.

Posted by Simon Kershaw at Monday, 15 July 2013 at 4:00pm BST

Fr Alan-Bury,
yes, but this isn't really specific enough. For those of us who find Giles Fraser wonderfully radical an are delighted that he gets coverage here, what stories would you like to have read here that did not get posted?

Would they be factual, like most TA posts are, with opinions limited to 1 round-up a week?
Would you want to see completely different Anglican issues covered that TA is not covering?

I get the point of wishing things were a little different, but you'd have to be able to be a little more concrete about it.

What actual story or stories did you think were newsworthy but did not get coverage?

Posted by Erika Baker at Monday, 15 July 2013 at 4:22pm BST

Sorry I am not concrete enough for you Erica Baker, but I am glad you grasp my point, I think your suggestions by way of questions, are meritorious.

I am sure Simon Kershaw knows I have my tongue very firmly in my cheek!
I return to the antipodes Friday and leave my Anglican priest host and the hallowed halls of Thinking Anglicans, maybe I'll look in from time to time ..........

Posted by Fr Alan-Bury at Monday, 15 July 2013 at 5:31pm BST

"I return to the antipodes Friday"
And with one bound he was free!

Posted by ian at Monday, 15 July 2013 at 8:57pm BST

I return to the antipodes Friday

Heck! which bit of the antipodes??? I will have to be careful about whom I bump into.

Posted by Edward Prebble at Tuesday, 16 July 2013 at 2:42am BST

Can Fr Alan-Bury name the contributors he desccribes as male anoraks with an interest in steam engines? I have to say that I am amazed at his perspicacity in being able to identify such attributes from the contributions here. As for his request that I supply him with a list of other sources of information, I suggest that he does his own research and comes up with his own tailor made list to provide him with what he wants. May be he could then share it with the rest of us.

Posted by Richard Ashby at Tuesday, 16 July 2013 at 10:14am BST

I might add that, were I the editor of a parish magazine (which, thank God, I am not), I would have been very pleased to have learned from here that there was an insert about the goings on at Synod published since I am not sure where else I might have discovered that. The Church doesn't communicate very effectively with its members and TA helps overcome that failure.

Posted by Richard Ashby at Tuesday, 16 July 2013 at 10:21am BST