Comments: Nigerian Archbishop kidnapped

Prayers ascending!

Posted by JCF at Sunday, 8 September 2013 at 9:43pm BST

What a sad news, I and my partner just finish eating our dinner and I decided to take a look at what’s going on online, only to get a message from my sister Erika, asking me if I have seen the terrible news of the Nigeria bishop that was kidnaped.
Very shocking for me was to know that the kidnaped bishop is Most Revd Ignatius Kattey, a man I hold in high regards even though we disagree on the views and understanding of human sexuality. Sometime in 2002, I think, Bishop Kattey, invited the Bishops in the Northern provinces that where struggling financially to visit his Diocese and to raise funds for mission and ministry, I and late Bishop Ugade and his son where hosted in the Denary of St John’s Rumeme.
Bishop Kattey is a strong evangelical and was friend of retired Archbishop Akinola but I can tell you that he has touched the lives of his people more positively; he knows how it feels to be discriminated upon because of where you come from. The kidnap of Bishop Katty though very sad and wrong brings me to the point to say that the Church of Nigeria and the Nigeria government should now begin to focus on the more pressing issues in Nigeria which is security and daily survival of its citizens. The resources spent on promoting their views on human sexuality if spent on security and well-being of its citizen there will be no room for kidnapping. Bishops have involved themselves so much in politics and living luxurious lives to the extent that people no longer have respect for their robes. Their attitude is more like the government and politicians.
I hope the police and the government of Nigeria act fast to negotiate his realise as soon as possible; I will hold him and his family in my prayers.

Posted by Davis Mac-Iyalla at Sunday, 8 September 2013 at 10:11pm BST

I am still feeling worried about the kidnapped Nigerian Archbishop, The Most Revd Ignatius Kattey, Archbishop of the Niger Delta province. The reason why I am so worried now is this statement from the Nigerian church saying it would not pay any ransom to secure his release. Is this true or they are only putting a bold face on in public while negotiations for a ransom will be taking place at the backstage? It’s most shocking to know that a Bishop will be kidnapped in Nigeria, considering how Nigerians worshipped their religious leaders more than the God they are supposed to be representing. Anglican Bishops and Pentecostal pastors in Nigeria have involved themselves so much with the government and in politics to the extent that they are no longer regarded. The Nigeria Anglican church has in many years been giving wrong advice to the Government of Nigeria about LGBT people and pushing and supporting the Nigeria Anti Same Sex Marriage Prohibition Bill. People, group, or churches who support the persecution of LGBT people have clearly taking side with the oppressor, the Nigeria Church needs to come back to the roots of the gospel message which is Love your neighbours as yourself and have compassion and tolerance for those who have a different views from them on human sexuality. When the church comes back to the gospel ones handed to our forefathers, their robes will be respected ones again. Still I condemned the kidnapping of Bishop Katty.

Posted by Davis Mac-Iyalla at Monday, 9 September 2013 at 12:30pm BST

I hosted Archbishop Kattey in April here in Italy and have the highest regard for him as a Christian man, a friend and minister of the Gospel. He transformed my own prejudices of the debate we are engaged in within the Anglican Communion. His conduct of a confirmation in the chaplaincy of St Anthony Abbot Padova where I am Priest-in-Charge was a moment for me of deep personal conversion. I urge all who read this to pray fervently for his and his wife's release. I will be contacting diplomatic chanels based in Italy tomorrow.

Posted by Jonathan Boardman at Monday, 9 September 2013 at 11:35pm BST

How horrible! God, please see them safely home. Amen! Amen!

Posted by MarkBrunson at Tuesday, 10 September 2013 at 4:38am BST

Prayers for the archbishop and his wife!

Posted by JPM at Tuesday, 10 September 2013 at 1:47pm BST