Comments: General Synod - Tuesday

The Mail front page screams Church on the verge of vanishing.
Lord Carey has his usual helpful things to say.

Posted by Martin Reynolds at Tuesday, 19 November 2013 at 4:45pm GMT

Quite an excellent editorial in The Guardian! A very clearly enunciated understanding of what is at stake in the current session of the General Synod. If the legislation for women bishops fails at this point, the Church of England may never regain its credibility with the general public.

The editorial rightly credits Archbishop Justin with the skill of an intentional reconciler in this matter, with the prospect of a good outcome for supporters of women in ministry - but without the threat of a second-class status for a female diocesan. Good work.

What will still be scrutinised, however, will be the Church's ongoing attitude towards the LGBT community within its ranks. The propose link-up with 'Stonewall' on applying efforts to clean-up the scandal of homophobia in schools is a good start, but there will need to be further work done on same-sex blessings and the open acceptance of gays in ministry.

My prayers are for justice to thrive in G. Synod.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Tuesday, 19 November 2013 at 11:25pm GMT

"A Code of Practice will not do" but an Ombudsman/woman will.

Hasn't Lord Jeremiah Carey read the Scripture concerning the Church that "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it"? "On the brink of extinction" within a generation - My eye!

Posted by Father David at Wednesday, 20 November 2013 at 6:13am GMT

While I am all for supporting Justin Welby in whatever he does to work for reconciliation,Fr. Ron, I think the credit for this piece of work should go to James Langstaff, Bishop of Rochester, who has chaired this committee. I don't know what input ++Justin has had, but as far as I am aware the lion's share of the leadership on this one was from +James. Thanks go to, to all those who have served on the committee, of course, but I suspect +James set the tone - a man of patience and grace (and also my Diocesan Bishop, which is good news for me.)

Posted by Anne2 at Wednesday, 20 November 2013 at 6:45am GMT

Yes, Anne2. Point taken. And now they've gone and made him Bishop-chaplain to H.M. Prisons - a great job for a reconciler! Of course, we need to give credit where it is due. I'm glad he's your bishop.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Wednesday, 20 November 2013 at 10:00am GMT

This has been a long time coming - I mean that most sincerely (to channel Hughie Green), I really do.

Hopefully this will set everything in train so that the majority of the CofE can do what they've been wanting to do for years - while giving those poor benighted refuseniks like me the space to carry on as business as usual. I'm hopeful the system proposed can work for us trad catholics, not sure about the ConEvos but there you go.

I still think Synod has only itself to blame for being daft enough to ty and push it through last year without having this conversation first but we are where we are, hopefully this'll be an end on it, and I won't have to clutter up these boards any more. I've learned a lot from most of you in the last 2 years. Hopefully you've learned something from me.

Posted by primroseleague at Wednesday, 20 November 2013 at 11:14am GMT

Primroseleague,
I have learned a lot from you, definitely. And I thank you for your polite engagement here.
But as for not having to clutter up these boards... we'll undoubtedly meet again when the church gets round to discussing female Archbishops. This is still only one more step. I have this feeling we'll be here for years to come yet.

Posted by Erika Baker at Wednesday, 20 November 2013 at 1:54pm GMT

Everyone, of whatever persuasion, should look on the bright side here. This thing is solved. This is a historic settlement. We can all live with it. In this respect it is a triumph for the Church of England.

Posted by John at Wednesday, 20 November 2013 at 8:39pm GMT

"I'm hopeful the system proposed can work for us trad catholics" - primroseleague -

Dear Primrose; I, too, consider myself to be a catholic in the Anglican Tradition - but not opposed to the complete Image and Likeness of God being found equally in both genders of humanity. It is on this premise that I applaud the G.S. decision. May your conscience be appeased by any arrangements made for your 'feeling secure'.

Posted by Father Ron Smith at Wednesday, 20 November 2013 at 10:27pm GMT