Comments: The ox and ass and camel

Happy Christmas to all on this blog,

John.

Posted by John at Tuesday, 24 December 2013 at 7:16pm GMT

Does the new Bishop of Manchester believe that Fido and Tiddles go the heaven? If so what about the turkey to be consumed tomorrow? Happy Christmas to all my readers.

Posted by Father David at Tuesday, 24 December 2013 at 9:28pm GMT

Thanks, John. You too. And a nice piece by +David.
Merry Christmas to all.

Posted by Cynthia at Thursday, 26 December 2013 at 5:37am GMT

Father David. To answer your question, I no more believe in an eternity that is populated purely by God and discarnate human souls than Jesus did.

By the way, the Christmas nut roast was yummy. What's more, after two days there's no more leftovers lingering on.

Posted by David Walker at Thursday, 26 December 2013 at 5:17pm GMT

I am delighted that the Bishop of Manchester enjoyed his Christmas Nut Roast as opposed to the more usual roast turkey. Merry Christmas to you, My Lord Bishop.By the way do nuts make it into heaven on the grounds that they don't qualify as "discarnate human souls"

Posted by Father David at Thursday, 26 December 2013 at 8:43pm GMT

Thanks, Cynthia. Hope to meet one day.

Father David, why not meet on your next visit to Durham? We are all angry here, but remember: ut ait Seneca noster, "ira gignit insaniam". Believe me, I know.

Posted by John at Friday, 27 December 2013 at 9:24am GMT

John , didn't you miss out "Immodica" (I never go abroad without it) from your quotation from Seneca? Why be angry? May the joy of the Christ Child be yours this Christmas, especially on this the feast day of your name sake St. John the Evangelist.

Posted by Father David at Friday, 27 December 2013 at 11:02am GMT

No disembodied souls for me either. And a heaven where a lot more than half of creation is lost for ever does not make sense to me at all. Perhaps if you do not see it that way you would like to ponder the 'what about her mother?' problem. Let us suppose somewhere along the chain of evolution, there was a distinct point where a a woman first had a 'soul'. The first woman to be a daughter of God and not an animal. what about her mother? does she alone mourn for a wholly innocent mother who was lost for ever?

It makes no sense. Creation is essentially a whole. We are part of a continuum. Everything or nothing is of God, and loved by him, and for ever.

Posted by Rosemary Hannah at Friday, 27 December 2013 at 12:10pm GMT

Well, the very best detailed description we have in Holy Writ of what heaven will be like comes in the final book of the Bible - the Revelation of St. John the Divine. For him on the Island of Patmos a door was opened into heaven and he describes clearly what he saw in his great vision. Granted there is a winged man, a winged lion, a winged ox and a winged eagle mentioned but that only goes to shew how close the four Evangelists and their Gospels are to the throne of the Lamb. My worry is that "there was no more sea". Does that mean that fish don't make it into the hereafter - nor indeed "Whales, and all that move in the Waters"?

Posted by Father David at Friday, 27 December 2013 at 1:09pm GMT

Fair cop, Father David, and thanks for the other thoughts. 'Sed dum doces, discis.'

Posted by John at Saturday, 28 December 2013 at 9:26am GMT

Indeed so, John, indeed so.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I came, I saw, I stuck)
Novus Annus to all readers of Ratus Anglicanis