Comments: Known by Name

Not only is January 1st the feast day of the Naming of Jesus ( BCP The Circumcision of Christ) but also the feast day of Mary, Mother of God (Theotokos). Happy New Year to you all.

Posted by Father David at Tuesday, 31 December 2013 at 5:40pm GMT

Not in the CofE or other Anglican calendars it's not!

Posted by Simon Kershaw at Tuesday, 31 December 2013 at 11:45pm GMT

I am very sorry that we have, at least in the Episcopal church, lost the emphasis on the Circumcision of Christ. Naming, while important, does not have the depth of the older celebration. It proclaims the fact that Jesus is a Jew and has even been called The Passion of the Infant Christ. I will offer the old collect tomorrow.
Columba Gilliss

Posted by Columba Gilliss at Wednesday, 1 January 2014 at 12:44am GMT

Thanks, Father David. I gladly echo your lead.

On the naming of Jesus, people might like to read:

Or not.

Posted by John at Wednesday, 1 January 2014 at 2:52pm GMT

Thanks for posting this lovely and prophetic piece by Canon Jane Freeman.It was a timely gift that I was able to incorporate into the reflection time of my daily noon office for this day.

Posted by Rod Gillis at Wednesday, 1 January 2014 at 7:13pm GMT

Not sure why some of the posts between Canada and the old country seem to disappear into hyperspace, but thanks so much for this article by Canon Jane Freeman which I included in my noon day office for the day. Very engaging and stimulating with regard to theological reflection!

Posted by Rod Gillis at Friday, 3 January 2014 at 4:46am GMT

Rod, checked and found one in spam filter. No idea why.

Posted by Simon Sarmiento at Friday, 3 January 2014 at 8:59am GMT

Thank you, Jane.
Your reflection prompted me to recall those comforting and encouraging words from Isaiah 43 verse 1:
"... this is what the Lord says—... 'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.'"

Posted by David Lamming at Friday, 3 January 2014 at 6:12pm GMT