Comments: Looking neither back nor forward

Isn't St Paul's image about running to finish? Not everyone can run fast, but as the tortoise and the hare fable tells us it's not always the fastest that gets there in the end. The key thing is to keep moving and be prepared to let God change the direction - forwards, backwards or sideways.
A helpful post - thank you. I might force myself to eat a piece of chocolate today!

Posted by Nancy Wallace at Wednesday, 5 March 2014 at 10:13am GMT

When hope trembles, it sometimes seems like we're on 'The Road to Nowhere'. But for a Christian on a journey, it's salutary to remember we are also on 'The Road to Now Here'. The presence of God, and the destination of our lives, is not far off. It is now and it is here.

Posted by Susannah Clark at Wednesday, 5 March 2014 at 10:56am GMT

This Lent I'm going to reflect on the gift of my life. And the gift of someone's life I thought I might lose. I'll be asking questions of myself. Quite enough to keep me going I think. I like this post's categorisation: just thinking!

Posted by Pam at Wednesday, 5 March 2014 at 10:03pm GMT

"We're on the road to nowhere"
Do it just because, as a religious acte gratuit?

Posted by George Waite at Thursday, 6 March 2014 at 2:56pm GMT

Re David Walker, Looking Neither Back Nor Forward, I'm wondering if one may anticipate the end of Lent just as it is beginning for another year. I'm reminded of the comment of Charlie Brown to Linus at the conclusion of The Great Pumpkin, "Another Halloween has come and gone". Each year after the forty days are over, one is tempted to say, another lent has come and gone. Into the past fades trivial acts of self denial, the ubiquitous mandatory lenten program often just more ecclesiastical busy work, the dreary Augustinian guilt hangover remedied by the soothing balm of familiar, indeed predictable, Easter hymns.

The temptation myth, which will be read the coming Sunday, speaks of solitude, of an effort to empty the mind of ego and daily life from the distraction of political dysfunction. Perhaps the church should be encouraging its members to engage in less, not more, organized religious activity during lent. Let's have less group mea culpa and more Christ like zen moments. Perhaps the reason I have long felt the "season" of lent to be overly long is because it seems so perfunctory when its finally over.

Posted by Rod Gillis at Thursday, 6 March 2014 at 3:29pm GMT

Thank you, Bishop David, missed in the midlands. Reminded me to tell my congregation - and remind my rather 'regressive' self - that they are loveable, and loved, and that learning what that means might be part of a good Lent. Leaving time and space for whatever God might do with it and living in the present moment sounds like something the Church has sometimes forgotten as much as the society around it.

Posted by fr.rob at Thursday, 6 March 2014 at 10:29pm GMT

I read today Giles Fraser's "Secular Lent is a pale imitation of the real thing" today, but I'm still not sure what he said, I got lost a bit before the Somalian pirates boarded his column.

We did a Lenten compline at St Matthews Church in Second Life, it was very nice, with a partly sung service.

Posted by Randal Oulton at Friday, 7 March 2014 at 8:07pm GMT

@ Randal Oulton "I got lost a bit before the Somalian pirates boarded his column. "

Trés drole. ( : Who says talk of lent is always dreary! As much as I dig Giles' work, tks for the smile.

Posted by Rod Gillis at Friday, 7 March 2014 at 11:27pm GMT