Comments: Report of New Zealand Anglican Commission on same gender blessings and ordinations released

Good Lord, "Where to" at 102 pages in length certainly over shadows the CofE's Bishops' Pastoral letter and offers Anglicans in England an opportunity to comment upon how this contentious issue is being handled down under, just as Kiwi Father Ron never fails tenaciously to comment upon how this issue is being handled in this country.
I wonder which option, Father Ron will be supporting?
Option G sounds fascinating and would seem to me to introduce the concept of Alternative Episcopal Oversight into the equation.
Although the very mention of "Option G" brings back painful memories of when the CofE was discussing the marriage of divorced persons. The General Synod (pbuh) having voted down Options A to F was left with the dog's dinner of a final option known as "Option G" which, as I recall, did not go down too well in the dioceses, deaneries and parishes. Having failed to be approved it was then left thereafter to the then Bishop of Winchester to change the Church's concept of who it is willing to marry. As ever was, the central authority took the easy option of leaving it to the conscience of each individual parish priest to decide whether or not to marry those with a former spouse still living,
So the Mother Church looks with interest upon its antipodean daughter to see Quo Vadis!

Posted by Father David at Friday, 4 April 2014 at 7:25am BST

That is quite a burden you are placing on us NZers, Fr David. Not only do we have to teach ourselves how to leave colonialism behind, now we have to teach Mother Church how to find its way out of the maze!

Posted by Peter Carrell at Friday, 4 April 2014 at 10:08am BST

That is a good few choices to select from. I suppose we must conclude that anything could happen in New Zealand. Not all that different from England really!

Well, there is always the Ordinariate.

Posted by Paul Waddington at Friday, 4 April 2014 at 3:18pm BST

Section C of the main report is free of convolution and generous in tone. It touches the main points.

Posted by cseitz at Friday, 4 April 2014 at 4:35pm BST

The "Science" section is awful - it is based on Glynn Harrison and David de Pomerai work, who subordinate their "scientific" expertise to a their anti-gay theology. It also cites Neil Whitehead, another Australian reparative therapist, as well as Stanton Jones, a US reparative therapist.

Posted by etseq at Friday, 4 April 2014 at 5:48pm BST

David I'm sure uses the term "Mother Church" with a smile at the corner of his mouth.

For those that don't get David's humour, I would say in this day and age, terms like that are pretty irrelevant now as probably everyone in the Anglosphere (USA, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etc) now regards themselves as an equal at whatever tables we are gathered, be it trade, academic think tanks, Anglican church, etc, and anything else is ancient history which isn't even taught anymore. A majority of people in Canada would no longer call the UK the "mother country" in any matter that was discussed, so those terms can be unhelpful by getting their backs up which don't make things any easier for the rest of us who have to stop and calm them down, lol.

That aside, for the sake of a "debate over beer", I'd postulate that in terms of the Anglican church in the senior Anglosphere countries, that it's the Episcopal Church in America which is now in the effective leadership role.

Posted by Randal Oulton at Friday, 4 April 2014 at 6:22pm BST

Here is my reaction http://liturgy.co.nz/committed-same-sex-couples

Bosco
www.liturgy.co.nz

Posted by Rev. Bosco Peters at Friday, 4 April 2014 at 8:56pm BST

Two thoughts from me

Peter Carrell, I know you are being funny in your response to Fr David, but I wonder if we should take his suggestion seriously. After all, without all the baggage of an Established Church that the C of E brings to its parallel debates, and without the armed camps of extreme opinion that seem to drive debates in North America, but with a fair record of managing diversity, it could be that the ACANZP might be able to find a way forward that could be an encouragement to other provinces. Putting that another way, in my more hopeful moments, I can imagine us in NZ coming up with a solution that both you and I, from "opposite" sides of this particular debate, could live with.

But my second point is that, in my more negative moments, and I seem to be experiencing more of those at the moment, I echo the comment of Scot Peterson on the thread about the Welsh process: "... my real bet is that another commission will be formed at the direction of governing body, which will have to take another five years to take evidence and issue another report. Takers?

Posted by Edward Prebble at Sunday, 6 April 2014 at 10:33pm BST

I doubt whether New Zealand Anglicanism could afford gay flying bishops!

Posted by robert ian Williams at Monday, 7 April 2014 at 9:43pm BST