Comments: Supreme Court judgment on right to die

Get out the bunting - I think I might actually agree with a CofE statement. I know many on TA will disagree with me but I still believe that, 20 years down the line, there would be doctoral theses to write on (a) why the level of assisted suicides was several times the national average in certain geographical areas of England (I could probably name two of them now) and (b) the direct correlation between the likelihood of a person dying by assisted suicide and the value of their estate.

Posted by Laurence Cunnington at Thursday, 26 June 2014 at 6:20pm BST

I certainly don't agree.

Keeping people alive, against their will, in excruciating pain, is the most egregious example of religious beliefs being imposed on society at large. All the concerns about coercion apply equally to the current situation, where the alleged hordes of murderous doctors and relatives are free to do the dastardly deed in secret.

Along with drug prohibition, a ban on assisted suicide and euthanasia is the last remnant of Christendom. Soon may it fall.

Posted by James Byron at Thursday, 26 June 2014 at 10:21pm BST

James writes:
"Keeping people alive, against their will, in excruciating pain, is the most egregious example of religious beliefs being imposed on society at large."

It is not only religious people who are not convinced about assisted suicide. But, be that as it may, the point I really want to make is that what James describes is a far cry from the reality of most people's end of life. I don't know how much experience he has of seeing people die, but I have a lot of it - and I know how much care is taken to alleviate pain and discomfort for people in the last days of their lives. Active treatment may end, but palliative treatment can and does involve both symptom control and pain relief, so that death can be dignified and peaceful.

The new framework for end of life care has just been published - I encourage him and all to read it:

Posted by Jeremy Pemberton at Thursday, 26 June 2014 at 11:35pm BST

As an Ignorant Yank, I'm not weighing in on the legality&justice of this decision.

But this?

"the direct correlation between the likelihood of a person dying by assisted suicide and the value of their estate."

Strange, I would think it would be rather the opposite.

Posted by JCF at Thursday, 26 June 2014 at 11:40pm BST

Once suicide in England was decriminalized, it would seem logical that assisted suicide, within certain constraints, would be approved. It is silly that people desiring to end their lives should have to travel to Switzerland. I see this slowness as a vestige of the worst features of religion.

Gary Paul Gilbert