Comments: Andrew Watson to be next Bishop of Guildford

A bassoon player - that's a minority interest, unusual enough to get him into trouble with Reform and other conservative groups!

Posted by Concerned Anglican at Friday, 26 September 2014 at 2:24pm BST

"and walking stretches of the South West Coast Path."

Nice to see a variation on the hill-walking theme :-)

Posted by Laurence Cunnington at Friday, 26 September 2014 at 4:04pm BST

"A bassoon player - that's a minority interest"

Be glad that he doesn't play oboe. Many of us are convinced that the pressure on the brain causes damage. However, double reeds do tend to make people neurotic…

Posted by Cynthia at Friday, 26 September 2014 at 10:04pm BST

Is a "China enthusiast" an amateur Sinologist or a collector of fine porcelain?

Posted by rjb at Saturday, 27 September 2014 at 6:15am BST

A bishop who has actually planted new churches? I'm going to have to pour a bucket of iced water over myself. This kind of thing used to be an impediment to the purple shirt, so I'm delighted to see the CofE recognising it now as a qualification for episcopal leadership.

Posted by David Keen at Saturday, 27 September 2014 at 8:38am BST

I think Guildford scores a first in that we will have two Bishops who are both bassoon players. But all joking apart, what I saw and heard of +Andrew and his (also ordained) wife Beverley in Guildford Cathedral last night impressed me greatly. They are both what I call "people" people and I have great expectations of both of them becoming well known throughout the diocese. I have " Great Expectations"

Posted by PeterM at Saturday, 27 September 2014 at 6:37pm BST

Good appointment. Not much doubt as to what the Diocese of Guildford was looking for.

Posted by Anthony Archer at Saturday, 27 September 2014 at 6:48pm BST

If a string of recent appointments are anything to go by, it is vital to be married (to a woman).

The episcopate of the church of england lacks all credibility in the eyes of some of the most thoughtful, ethical, people in of our society.

Posted by Laurie R at Monday, 29 September 2014 at 4:39pm BST

Laurie,

Whilst I get the (snarky) point you're trying to make, surely the place of the Church has always been not* to correspond to the ways of the world - and in this case, of decadent, secular post-Christian Britain?

"Whoever marries the spirit of this age will find himself a widower in the next" etc etc.

Tristan

Posted by Tristan at Monday, 29 September 2014 at 4:59pm BST

So it's sort of, not credible to be married (to a woman) is that it? This is new, even for TA!

Posted by ian at Monday, 29 September 2014 at 5:14pm BST

I am not sure that the marital status of the current bench of diocesan bishops tells us very much. However, of the last eleven appointments (which included three translations of existing diocesans - Canterbury, Durham and Leeds), only one bishop is single. There are currently five vacancies. Of the other 26 bishops, 20 are married, one is widowed and five are single. Excluding vacant sees, single bishops make up 16.2% of the total. Of the last eleven appointments it might therefore have been expected that there would have been 1.8 single men nominated. The trend is therefore slightly in favour of the CNC making more nominations of married men, but it is hardly a pronounced shift. When I was on the CNC I don't recall marital status ever being raised as an issue. I was involved in six nominations, of which two were single.

Posted by Anthony Archer at Monday, 29 September 2014 at 9:03pm BST

To be married to a woman with a good job too......laurie!

Posted by robert ian williams at Monday, 29 September 2014 at 10:32pm BST